Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

When I go to sleep, I keep waking up short of breath. None…

When I go to...

When I go to sleep, I keep waking up short of breath.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None of them

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I keep burping aswel

3/28/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Since when is this happening?

Were any investigations done?

Do you have heartburn, acid reflux, overweight issue, stress, anxiety, lack of physical activity, snoring?

Stress anxiety I struggle with. Probably the last 2 weeks, I have also had ache in my shoulder.
I have been burping quite abit when I feel breathless
I can’t talk right now sorry and can’t affird the service.
31 I am

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

Thank you.
I am just worrying over the situation that’s all as I have read stuff online likes of heart attack or failure
Or cancer

Your symptoms can be due to;

1) Obstructive sleep apnea. A sleep study at sleep clinic would identify it.

2) Gastroesophageal reflux disease / GERD (acid reflux). Upper GI endoscopy is done for the diagnosis.

3) Anxiety.

For acid reflux, following would help you;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

This is not due to heart attack or cancer.

The best way to deal with anxiety is a comprehensive approach. It can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist but there are internet based approach nowadays too. CBT has higher efficacy and lower relapse rates.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

11) Deep breathing exercises.

A major component of therapy involves understanding and assuring yourself that the symptoms are neither from a serious medical condition nor from a mental deficiency but rather from a chemical imbalance in the fight or flight response.

CBT helps to understand how automatic thoughts and false beliefs/distortions lead to exaggerated emotional responses, such as anxiety, and how they can lead to secondary behavioral consequences.Cognitive restructuring involves substituting positive thoughts and getting rid of negative thoughts. Some studies have suggested that high importance to religion and religious practices also improve anxiety symptoms and prevent recurrences.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

you don’t think it is heart related?
Why the ache in the shoulder area?

These symptoms do not relate to heart.

Shoulder pain can occur due to many reasons as following;

1) Bicipital tendinitis

2) Frozen shoulder

3) Biceps rupture

4) Brachial neuritis

5) Rotator cuff disease

6) Cervical radiculopathy

7) Cervical spondylosis

8) Suprascapular neuropathy.

Your assumption that it is heart related is causing your anxiety.

Best is to get an ECG so you have documentation of normalcy and thus relieve the anxiety.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you
If you where to say out of all them what would it be
Can I ask what would be heart related

You are very welcome.

Heart related symptoms are; chest pain, with perspiration, suffocation feeling, pain radiating to left are. All of these are very severe.

Sleep apnea and acid reflux are the commonest cause of it. This can only be ascertained by the work up.

Would you recommend any medication

A diagnosis has to be made by the investigations first.

If you think it is only anxiety, than we had discussed the treatment measures for it.

I consider it to be more maybe acid reflux due to the burping

Sure, this is one of the most likely reason as we discussed in my first post.

Any recommendations what to do next?
Like I said I don’t feel unwell just uncomfortable feeling. Where would I worry if it was heart related? This has been going on for 2-3 weeks now on and off

Get an upper GI endoscopy scheduled for evaluation.

Take antacids and acid blocker; both of them are over the counter.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)