Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a small blue/purple hard lump on the side of my

I have a small...

I have a small blue/purple hard lump on the side of my middle finger. It doesn't move and is slowly getting bigger. Is this a concern?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?

I've had it about 5 months. It's hard

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

On the same finger I also have a wart which has been there for 10 years. I've tried everything but it won't budge. I don't see how these are related though

3/28/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Please post a picture of lump.

35 years old

Please post a picture of it.

It's hard to get it to show up but here you go

Thanks for the pictures. I am reviewing them.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Ok thanks

This is likely to be a callosity.

The may have been formed due to friction initially, if your work involved this finger for prolonged use.

This is unlikely to be serious.

An x-ray and a soft tissue ultrasound should be able to diagnose it.

This can be removed as an office procedure by a dermatologist or general surgeon under local anaesthesia (numbing medication).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

But this isn't on the skin it's underneath. Can that make a difference?

Callosity is thickening of the inner layers of the skin.

This does not look like a worrisome lump.

It is privilege assisting you.

The other possibility to consider would be Glomus tumor. Please read this:

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1083405-overview

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

I have read this thank you. This site states that the lump would present pain however it is not painful. Just hard, doesn't move and is about the size of a pea. It has a slight purple/ blue appearance possibly a vein.

You are very welcome.

Veins here are very small and lumps formed due to it are soft.

The main concern usually is; if this dangerous or cancerous? The answer is no.

An ultrasound would know the origin.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Ok thanks. Have a good day

You are most welcome.

Have a great day.