Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

One day I noticed a lump on the back of my head near the…

Customer Question
One day I noticed...

One day I noticed a lump on the back of my head near the base of my school is hard painless and about the size of half of a golf ball I noticed this after you take an Advil which I have taken plenty times before it disappeared one hour later this happened three more times after taking Advil so I stopped taking Advil I just recently got a really bad chest cold with a high fever it’s been 2 to 3 days I have been taking white willow bark instead of Advil and have not noticed any problems previously after taking white willow bark but this time I notice lump in the same place but smaller maybe the size of half a walnut

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

At this exact moment no but I’ve been going up and down from 100.5 to 102.4 fever last couple days When I previously noticed the lump I definitely did not have any fever no illnesses and no I am not aware of any existing medical condition

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Since I was 16 I have albums with migraine headaches after I was 21 I still had a migraine symptoms but no longer would get the headache to follow when I was 28 years old I had problems with anxiety but did not know what it was first so I had a CAT scan because of what I was going through and that came clean according to Kaiser Permanente once I ruled everything else out then I came to the conclusion that it was anxiety and I’ve worked Through those issues and have it under control but I can’t think of anything else in my history

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Health
3/25/2018
Health Professional: Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D. and I can respond, shortly, about the lump you felt in the back of your head.
You probably have a sebaceous gland in the scalp that swells when the wax builds up in the gland
The size will change depending on the wax production. It’s not likely to be anything more than that.
I appreciate the time you spent looking into this, but I don’t believe that a swollen sebaceous gland is what I have. Please see the notes below that I have been taking on this issue. This lump disappears with 1-2 hours. It is hard and not sore.9-14-17 9:45 Bump on base of skull. Right side. 3rd time. Can't remember details on the first time. This time it is smaller than the last one, which was 2 weeks ago. This one is the size of the end is my thumb. The one 2 weeks ago was about the size of a golf ball and disappeared within an hour from me realizing it was there. This time it is slightly squishy. The one 2 weeks ago seemed harder. This one is a bit tender but the one before didn't seem to be tender at all. If I press hard it seems to be connected with my jaw... TMJ symptom?? As 10 min goes by, the bump has grown to golf ball size. I did take Advil about an hour ago. Slight headache and tight muscles... Shoulder, jaw, arm. Bump gone by 10:45.11-5-17 7:20pm. Noticed bump at full size. Took an Advil an hour ago. Could that be related. Happened last time I took an Advil?!?! Except I took it for sore muscles. I didn't have a headache. 8:20pm. Gone.12-2-17 had bad headache for hours so @ 930pm took 100mg Advil and hour later bump appears same place same size?!?!?! Can't find anything on the internet. NEVER take Advil again. Try something else and see if it happens? 12:15 bump is gone.12-4-17 had headache took Tylenol instead of Advil not bump but did not really help headache.12-7-17 11:15pm. Bump appeared. No Advil no headache. 12:30 bump gone.3-25-18 8:00am noticed lump on head. Did not take Advil but have been sick for 4 days with chest cold and high fever so I have been taking white willow bark for last 3 days, but I the last time I took one was 7pm the night before. Not as big.. maybe half of walnut in size. Kind of seems like it is positioned slightly higher than before?? Gone within 90 min.
I had a similar pecan size lump over my right cheekbone a few years ago that would change size without drainage. After about a year, it seemed to disappear. I assumed it was a sebaceous cyst and it resolved. It’s obvious not some tumor so you can always have a family doctor check it out. That’s the best I can speculate about without looking at it and feeling its margins.