Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I'm having a sharp pulsing pain on the right side of my neck…

Customer Question
I'm having a sharp...

I'm having a sharp pulsing pain on the right side of my neck sort of behind my collar bone. I used to get this when I danced professionally after a particularly strenuous practice and it would subside within 20-30 minutes. This time I was lying in bed when the pulsing pain came on and its been around an hour with no relief. Should I be concerned?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

I danced years ago...2002-2006, so quite awhile. I don't think there's any numbness or tingling. It makes me feel like I want to push on that spot and I can feel my carotid pulsing there. Pain is worse with a deep inspiration.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm a former smoker. Around 4 years at 1 pack a day. Quit around 6 months ago.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Health
3/23/2018
Health Professional: Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is your age?

Can you check your blood pressure, pulse rate at home?

Are you taking any medications?

Dizziness, headache, heart palpitations?

Stress and anxiety?

Neck stiffness?

Any medical history of Diabetes, Hypertension, high cholesterol levels?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

I'm 35. BP in left arm 119/81, 97 bpm I BP in right arm (same side as pain) is 140/81. I checked each side twice and it was consistent.
Meds:
Wellbutrin 300mg
Lexapro 10mg
Seroquel (for sleep) 50mg
Lyrica 50 mg BIDI ssi have generalized anxiety but currently do not feel anxious. No headache or dizziness but definitely heart palpitations occasionally. No neck stiffness. No history of cholesterol issues, hypertension or diabetes. Usual BP is low... Around 110s over 70s.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, you should take OTC Aspirin now.

And if your pulsation is persistent even at rest then see your doctor for carotid and heart ultrasound, Holter monitor, blood pressure monitoring and thyroid scan with thyroid function test.

You should limit your salt intake.

And do deep breathing.

If your symptoms are getting worse then visit an emergency room.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.