Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am a gay adult male. I got tested and treated for

Customer Question
Hey there. I am a gay...
Hey there.
I am a gay adult male.
I got tested and treated for gonhorhea and chlamydia on Friday morning 11am. I had a shot for gonhorhea and 2 pills of azithromycin.
On Saturday night I stupidly went home with a guy from the bar and gave him oral sex. I gave him oral sex again Sunday morning.
Since then I received the call that I did test positive for throat chlamydia.
I just let him know to go and get tested. But given the situation of when I had treatment and was sexually actively, am I at risk for reinfection?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Health
3/20/2018
Health Professional: Richard Han, Doctor (MD) replied 3 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Doctor (MD)

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. The treatment you received Friday not only treated your chlamydia infection, but it also would have provided you with protection in the time frame you described above. The azithromycin which treats the chlamydia has a long half-life of 68 hours, meaning it stays around in the body for a prolonged period of time. It would still be a levels that would have blocked any re-infection from potential exposure that Sat night and Sun morning. You should be fine. Can I help with any other questions today?

Health Professional: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

you are not at risk for re-infection.

you had treatment Friday.

this will last for a week of antibitoic therapy in your system

so you don't have to worry

let me know if you have questions.