Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I took a 5mg ambien three hours ago and still haven’t went…

I took a 5mg...

I took a 5mg ambien three hours ago and still haven’t went to sleep. Can i take another 5mg?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used Ambien or anything similar before?

No. I’m in my last two weeks of pregnancy. Benadryl stopped helping me go to sleep so I was given ambien

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don’t think so

3/20/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

Hi
I just want to know if i can take more ambien

Ambien is a schedule C medication for pregnancy which basically means that it has not been studied that extensively but studies in animals have shown side effects in babies. Because of that, if your doctor said to only take 5 mg, I would stick to that dosage.

Insomnia is a common problem in pregnancy. Since ambien may cause some issues with fetal development, it would be best to take the lower dosage that your doctor prescribed.

He gave me 10mg to take but i broke it in half. Is it fine to take the other

Ok, if your OB was fine with you taking 10 mg, I think that is fine to do. Of course, I would try to limit your use of ambien as much as possible.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Okay thanks you’re a whole lot better than those doctors i see at that rinky dink office anyways

My pleasure. Congrats on the pregnancy!