Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Is it dangerous to take oral diflucan while taking nasal…

Is it dangerous to...

Is it dangerous to take oral diflucan while taking nasal Flonase? I was given a script for both but saw a caution on the Flonase insert.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I haven’t taken the diflucan yet, so no interaction symptoms to report. I wanted to try to check first!

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I took a 6 month course of diflucan 1 time per week that ended in December, I began Flonase for an ear infection/congestion March 1.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

Ear issue March 1, mostly cleared now, yes, I believe it was caused by a viral cold, the doctor believed so also. I was given Augmentin and the diflucan to take if yeast issues began. Just concerned about mixing the Flonase with diflucan.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now. I will respond to your question or request additional information shortly.

I was given 2 doses of oral diflucan to take if yeast issues began, to take one on symptom onset and then a second 72 hours later. I’ve been using the Flonase 2 sprays in each nostril each evening since March 1.
I want to know if it’s safe to take the diflucan and use the Flonase at the same time, as the Flonase package insert had warnings against using with antifungals. If it is not safe, how long does it take for the Flonase to leave my system so I can safely take the diflucan?

It's safe to take these two meds together without any major concern. Moreover, you are not going to be on diflucan for long time so nothing major to worry about.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

With the two doses of diflucan this is safe? Are there any side effects I should be watching for?

Diflucan is usually well tolerated. The common side effect is vomiting. Since you are using it for a short time, it will be fine.

Should I expect a bounce back when I stop the Flonase? Or is this uncommon? Glad to know Flonase and diflucan are safe together, I will go ahead with the medications together.

Less common but possible. Unless you have any other reason or weak immunity, you will be fine and bounce back risk would be low.

Thank you, ***** ***** concern came from reading potentials for adrenal fatigue due to the antifungal interaction. I understand you don’t see that as a potential risk. I appreciate the information and knowing it’s safe to take the diflucan and Flonase together.

We know about the part, but it's not common with short-term use like this. Even not everyone taking these combination would get that side effect. So there is a lot of variation from person to person. You can safely take it together.

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor