Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have this annoying cough. I have had it for over a month.

Customer Question
I have this annoying...

I have this annoying cough. I have had it for over a month. It was a dry cough until a few days ago. The odd thing is that my throat is not sore. I have no sinus congestion unless there is some sort of post nasal drip that I am unaware of. My main source of pain is my neck. It hurts more when I stress/cough. Its in the front about 3/4 of the way down, a little on each side. Its very tender. I am also exhausted!

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

I took my temp yesterday. It was 99.8, so not really. The dry cough has been present for a little over a month, so has the pain in my neck. The best way I can explain it is its like a squeezing feeling at times. It is very tender to the touch. My husband came home about a week ago with a cold. Now my cough has changed a bit. I assume I have some sort of virus now.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The dry cough is disturbing however. Hypothyroidism runs in my family. That is pretty much it.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Health Professional: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you hare having this annoying cough

it could be from spring allergies causing new post nasal drip and throat irritation.

spring is right around the corner

I have had to start to use my allergy medications like Allegra 180mg daily and steroid nasal spray to help stop my runny nose.

you can also use 25-50mg of benadryl at night time as well

sometimes bad acid reflux at night time can irritate your throat and cause cough as well

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do have allergies. I take Allegra. I have never had a cough quite like this nor have I had this ache in my neck, right in front. I feel it most when I lean my head back. If I have to cough then, its so sore. What could cause that?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?

you could have a pulled muscle in your neck or strained muscle from your coughing spells

that could have caused the sore muscle in your neck

try adding on a steroid nasal spray like rhinocort or nasocort over the counter

you can try a heating pad or ice pack on your neck to help the ache in your neck.

tylenol could help the acne in your neck as well

if you get your allergy symptoms better, I bet this will help your cough

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)