Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My husband fell off a ladder from 10ft the day before last…

My husband fell off...

My husband fell off a ladder from 10ft the day before last while working on our new concrete foundation. When the one side if the ladder have way, he slid down the side of the wall linking his neck and landing hard on his mid back. I want him to get an cray but of course he's rellenting. He does not have pain when breathing. So I believe his ribs to be ok.

Doctor's Assistant: What are your husband's symptoms? Has he used any medication for this?

He is stiff. It hurts when he turns his head. He already historical has back problems. Bilateral spinal stenosis and 3 herniated discs in the lower back and right side spinAL stenosis in the upper back, which has been ok lately. The night if the fall he took one of his old flexeril (10mg) to try ha

Doctor's Assistant: Has he seen a doctor about herniated disks?

And prevent major inflamation. That was the night before last and this morning he took 1 Tylenol and 1 alleve.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in his medical history you think the doctor should know?

He had been to a doctor 2yrs ago in reference to his other back issues. They had him on some narcotics for about 4 months as well as 3 epidurals. Ultimately, neither of us wanted him to keep having to take the mess so he just stopped working all together to allow his back to heal slowly. He's been told surgery will eventually have to

3/16/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's symptoms. From what you are describing it is important for him to be evaluated, the nature of the fall does mean that he could have a mild compression fracture of the spinal vertebrae and given that he already has spinal cord issues previously, he is more prone to develop serious complications even from a minor injury. Secondly, the pain on turning the neck can be due to injury to the cervical spine and that is something which should NOT be overlooked at all. The reason being that if any cervical spine injury is missed then it can lead to serious issues later on such as complete paralysis. Even though he does not seem to have any serious neurological problems like weakness or numbness in the limbs, balance issues, loss of bladder or bowel control after the fall, in his situation a chance should NOT be taken and he should get X-rays of the neck, upper and mid back and if necessary even a MRI of these regions.

At the very least he needs to get a clinical examination done which would help in ruling out serious issues.

So I would completely agree with you that X-rays are needed, the risk of him suffering a major injury to the cervical spine is too great not to get them. Explain to him the possible complications, it is better to get an x-ray and rule out serious injury rather than skipping the xrays and developing serious complications later on.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Your answer is actually where my concerns lay. I appreciate you confirming my thoughts as to the seriousness of the fall given his other back issues. I will get him to a doctor to examine him physically. He won't go until I go with him which won't be able to be until tomorrow. In the mean time, I'm wondering about what to do until he gets there. As mentioned, he took a felxeril in wed evening and then this morning an aleve and tylenol. He is rather sensitive to medicine but I am thinking he should probably take another flexeril tonight before bed. Is that safe or too much stuff in a 48hr period?

Yes another flexeril would be absolutely safe. He can use one flexeril a day without any worries. Using the tylenol and aleve today does not mean that he cant use the flexeril.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. Thanks for your help. I just left you a five star rating. Have a great day!

You are welcome, best of luck and thank you for the rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I forgot one other question. Should he use a heating pad tonight? We used ice the first night on his mid back.

A heating pad would be helpful

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you!

Welcome

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)