Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

For the last 6 months I’ve been inquiring about this dull…

Hello, so for the last...
Hello, so for the last 6 months I’ve been inquiring about this dull and achy pain I feel in my upper left back that sometimes radiate alongside my rib to the front of my upper left abdomen, almost feeling cramp and sometimes sharp like and a tingling sensation. When I do feel the pain it usually starts later on in the night or when I’ve been standing in an awkward position for too long or hunched forward or when I’m on the computer leaning forward for too long. I have to admit I also have pretty poor posture most of the time. No of the areas are tender to the touch, no gastric or stool issues. And blood results are perfect. I’m a 26 year old male. I visited my primary care provider in regards ***** ***** issue thinking maybe I need tests done. I told him the pain subsides when I lay back and/or lay down. He states because of some of the motions I’ve done in the gym through out the summer, I’m suffering from a sprained muscle. My worry is that it might be a organ or something more serious. He recommended a heated pad and cooling pad for the pain. Also I’m not sure if a sprain can even last for that long without healing on it’s own and what the tingling sensation in the upper left abdomen has to do with it. Should I visit a physical therapist? Thoughts on what this sully achy back pain that sometimes radiate along the adjacent rib to the front of the upper left abdomen might be?
3/15/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr Rubio
welcome a JA and thank you for your question.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer

No problem. My pcp tells me it’s a muscle strain but I never heard of a muscle strain lasting months long

Dear friend, for the symptoms that you describe very well, in fact it is a condition called intercostal neuralgia, just below each ribs from the neck and all the ribs run nerves, which by the effect of contraction of the muscles intercostal during breathing are compressed and the usual efforts to get up from the bed or chair and even when lifting objects increases its contraction with the consequent compression of the nerves generating a inflammation characteristic of the area With changes in sensation, you may feel electric, throbbing, or twitching., depending on the intensity at some time can even feel that lack of breathing and can extend to the affected arm as a crash or to the stomach, you must have a postural education in your work, and you must also strengthen the muscles of your spine that have been weakened by bad postures. should not lift any heavy object. So you should not be alarmed but stress and anxiety make it worse since it is nerves that are affected.

The best treatment is physical activity, such as yoga, pilates that involves stretching, avoiding staying in the same position for long hours, for example sitting in front of the desk. Since all this prevents muscle contractures from occurring, avoiding neural compression.I also suggest some rehabilitation sessions to improve the stability of the spine as this is where the intercostal nerves are born.

I suggest the following medical treatment with analgesic such as Diclofenac 50 mg(1) one tablet every 8 hours for 5 days in addition to a muscle relaxant such as Tizanidine 2 mg (1) one tablet at night for 10 days as it generates a little sleep In addition to intramuscular b12 complex 1 intramuscular a single dose, this will relieve symptoms but should reduce stress

Do you have any doubt?

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Edgar Rubio Villegas
Wow thank you for all the support dr Villegas! I wish you were located in the NYC area where I would come to you for help! Thanks again. 5 stars!
Do you think I cause this with that fall last year or from lifting too much weight (dumbell row) in the gym last summer?

Sorry for the delay, if I am indeed impressed that it is because of that injury while making that effort, which has not yet improved, it is important to focus on performing the stretching and strengthening of the cervical and thoracic spine muscles.
This type of injury can return very easily due to the effort, stress, bad sitting positions and many other factors.
But if you follow the recommendations, I'm sure it will improve.

It's been my pleasure to help you.

I have been suffering from a middle and upper back ache for about 6 months now. My doctor dismissed it as a muscle strain and said it will go away and to just use wet moist heat. It’s been a month and no change. I feel the ache almost everyday now and it’s in two places. The first is in the upper left region by my left shoulder blade and this pain is more constant, feel it when I inhale at times. The second is lower towards the middle left side of my back. Only feel this when I’m slouching forward or at a computer desk and it’s more of a dull ache accompanied by a upper left abdominal tingling and cramp. I’ve been told it is a musculoskeletal issue. I feel it might also be a misaligned spine. I’m making a visit to a chiropractor for adjustment next week although I’d like to see if you have any insight on what’s wrong with me?