Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have red streaks down both sides of my throat, some

I have red streaks...

I have red streaks down both sides of my throat, some white streaks in back and an occasional dry cough. Occasional thick phlegm. Left side of throat hurts so bad i hesitate to even swallow. Had my tonsils out a year ago and this pain rivals that! Just finished antibiotic for sinus infection 2 days ago

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

It’s like an allergy cough just a day or so. Achy and General tiredness

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Hbp

3/14/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask how long have you had these symptoms? And also what was the name of the antibiotic which you finished two days ago? Also do you have a picture of the throat that you can attach here?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sore throat 4 days cough 2 amoxicillin
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Won’t let me attach pic

Here is a link which shows how to attach a picture,

How to attach Pictures

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All I have is “reply here” and +add files but it doesn’t add them
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oops it attached. Not a good pic

Its fine, i can make out some of the red streaks that you have. Let me write down a written answer and ill get back to you in a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

There are a couple of possibilities here, the first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed mild acid reflux (silent variety) due to the antibiotics that you used. This can cause the redness, the pain and even the thick phlegm that you have. Usually, this is a transient problem and would be corrected with the help of simple OTC medications like Prilosec used at a dose of 10 mg twice daily. I would also advise that you avoid alcohol, caffeine-containing products, eat bland food for the next week and also increase the intake of fluids.

The second possibility is that now you have developed a throat infection which is not responding to the antibiotics, some infections are resistant to amoxicillin alone and in that situation, you will need a stronger antibiotic like Bactrim or even a zpack to treat the problem. This would be diagnosed first by doing a throat swab and then culturing it to determine the exact organism which is causing the infection. Amoxicillin is a very basic antibiotic and many organisms are resistant to it so it is possible that you could have a resistant bug which requires a stronger antibiotic. In the meantime, you can start using OTC Tylenol (avoid ibuprofen if you can) thrice daily and do saline gargles (warm saline) which should help reduce the pain.

if the above measures don't help in improving the symptoms within the next 48 hours then get evaluated by visiting your doctor again.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I take Prilosec daily so I’m thinking it’s the latter... I actually broke down and took the last dose of hydrocodone I had from my tonsillectomy and it still hasn’t helped (30 minutes ago). It’s a burning stinging pain. Ok to take ibuprofen after that? I’ll go to doc or call and get z pak tomorrow just don’t want to go sit in Urgent care at 3am and expose myself to more germs. But worried about strep.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or no ibuprofen?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a very high pain tolerance and I would never even consider this service so it’s really bad pain!

You can use the ibuprofen but i would advise that you INCREASE the dose of prilosec to 20 mg twice daily or even 40 mg twice daily (JUST for two days coming down to 20 mg twice daily after that) if you are going to take ibuprofen. The increased dose is because of the tendency of ibuprofen in causing problems in the stomach. Using an increased dose would be effective.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I take 40 mg once daily at night so your saying increase to take one in am also. And take ibuprofen for tonight?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also have magic mouthwash but didn’t know if nystatin would be ok without knowing what it was. The lidocaine would be nice but I don’t want to take something I don’t need. I didn’t take all my meds for tonsillectomy. I only took exactly what I needed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe the hydrocodone May be kicking in. Getting a little relief

Yes that would be the plan, use another dose of 40 mg tonight with the ibuprofen which should help in reducing the effect of ibuprofen, from tomorrow use 40 mg twice daily and then come back down to 40 mg once daily.

If you have lidocaine gel then swish it around and SPIT it out once the pain is relieved, DONT swallow it.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help!

You are welcome, best of luck!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)