Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I just had gall bladder surgery on March 8th. Everything has…

I just had gall...

I just had gall bladder surgery on March 8th. Everything has been fine and healing well. Except on Sunday night I developed a migraine. Pain on the top right side of head. I’ve since had a cat scan done a day ago which came back normal. I’ve never had a migraine last this long. Should I be concerned and go back to er and request a mri?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

It’s been the last two days. And it comes out of no where hurts for a few seconds and then goes away for maybe a hour or two and comes back for a few seconds etc. no nausea.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have pvcs. But they were ruled to be benign

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Dr. Scott, Doctor (MD)

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Do you have any other symptoms such as weakness, numbness, tingling?

Who ordered the CT scan?

I went to the er yesterday and the doctor ordered one to check things out. Other then some pain in my stomach from the surgery I feel fine. This head pain comes and goes all day and sometimes the pain is a 9 out of 10 but it isn’t last a few seconds then dissipates for a a while again
No weakness and no numbness

Did they give you any medications to help?

Did they treat you in the ED?

I would return to the same ED and let them know you have not treated appropriately.

They asked but I declined since I had already taken pain killers a few days before after the surgery. I have been taking Advil ibuprofen for the pain after the surgery but stopped because I was worried that might be causing the migraines.

Painkillers are not effective treatments for migraines. You will need a "cocktail" of medications which are depend on the ED protocol

I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a complication from the surgery. Should I go back and request a mri? The pain is on top of my head/scalp only on the right side.

You don't necessarily need an MRI. You need medication to break the migraine.

I have a appointment with my primary care this Thursday. I can request something for the migraine then. Would it be safe to wait until then? Instead of another
Er visit?

If I were you, I would not wait 2 days. That is a poor quality of life to live with a 9/10 migraine

Sometimes it’s lower. It’s kinda random. I guess I’ll give it one more night. If it hits me hard I’ll go back in. I saw my surgeons PA this morning and they stated that it’s possible the anesthesia leaving my body could be causing the pain. Is that true even though surgery was 5 days ago?

Are you taking opioids?

They prescribed Nucynta but I haven’t taken one pill. I was able to manage the pain from the surgery with just Advil (ibuprofen). The only narcotics that were in my body were on surgery day.

Can you take ibuprofen to see if it helps?

I was about to change it up and try some Tylenol. I haven’t taken any medications Sunday night. Would Advil be the better choice?

You can take both of them. You should also drink plenty of fluids.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Scott, Doctor (MD)
Thanks. Rated 5 stars. Last question. So it’s safe to say since the cat scan was normal that this shouldn’t be something serious?