Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

For the past week or two when I have a bowel movement, there…

For the past week or...
For the past week or two when I have a bowel movement, there is mucus when I wipe. Not sure what would cause that and I need to be concerned about anything.
3/11/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello. My name is***** and I am a colorectal surgeon. May I ask you a few questions? How old are you? Have you had a colonoscopy? Do you take any medications?

Hi I am 42 and have never had a colonoscopy. I don’t take any medications. I do have external hemmroids and have had those for years.

Do you have any pain with bowel movements? Is there any bleeding?

No pain and no blood in stool.

How much time do you spend on average on the toilet when you have a bowel movement? Is the movement soft, firm, or hard?

Not much time on the toilet. Usually more on the soft to firm side.

OK great.

There are several small anal glands in the anal canal that make mucus to assist with bowel movements. Sometimes the mucus is more noticeable, particularly if sitting time on the toilet exceeds 3-4 minutes, due to vascular engorgement and normal pelvic floor decent. This is the most common cause of noticing mucus. The remedy is to increase fiber, limit sitting time on the toilet and even use a squatty potty (you can find on amazon of bed bath and beyond--or a small stack of books in front of the toilet) to elevate your knees so that you are in more of a squatting position, which greatly assists in defecation. The next thing that can cause excessive mucus is a polyp, as they can shed quite a bit of mucus. The last thing to be concerned about is a small anal canal cancer, but this is very rare. They often present with mucus discharge and sometimes passing a little blood or mucus when passing gas. They sometimes are not associated with pain. If you were a patient in my office a simple anoscopy would be the quickest way to know exactly what was going on. Look for a colorectal surgeon and have your primary care refer you if needed. How may I further assist you?

Thanks. Is any of this serious that I need to get seen this week? Otherwise I will call my primary care doctor. She will probably want to see me first before she makes a referral.

No I do not think it is urgent. You will be fine for a regular appointment at your convenience. I really hope I answered your question well. Please give it a 5 star rating and know that the thread will not end so if you think of anything else I am happy to answer for you. Have a great Sunday!

Thanks so much! Have a good day.

You are welcome!

Connie Pennington