Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I had a random very hard coughing fit a couple months ago,

Hi Pearl. I had...

Hi Pearl. I had a random very hard coughing fit a couple months ago, without one since then, and have a pain to the right of my Adam’s apple when I sneeze or sometimes yawn. I am able to swallow easily. I feel no lumps when I touch the area. I was thinking it was maybe a strained muscle or tear that would go away over time however it still persists and scared it may be throat cancer. Any idea what could be going on?

Doctor's Assistant: When did cancer begin? Have you used any medication for it?

What? I’m not sure it is cancer and no medication

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about cancer?

I have not

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing. Had a hernia surgery in my abdomen about 8 years ago but that’s it

3/9/2018
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

this sounds like you have strained a neck strap muscles with your hard coughing fit before.

it would not be throat cancer.

bad anxiety symptoms can often cause throat pressure symptoms.

Thank you Dr. David. Is this something that will heal itself? Or any additional symptoms I should know about?

yes, it could heal itself over time

use a heating pad in the area which could help

you can do neck stretching exercises

it would not be cancer.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)