Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

High WBC of 15.3, low lymphocytes and high neutrophils??

Customer Question
High WBC of 15.3...

High WBC of 15.3, low lymphocytes and high neutrophils?? Curious what that means..

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

13.6 Lymphocytes 76.4 neutrophils

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No just extreme fatigue

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Health
3/8/2018
Health Professional: Richard Han, Doctor (MD) replied 6 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Doctor (MD)

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how old are you? Male of female? And what was the initial reason for obtaining your blood test, was it due to illness or routine screening as part of a wellness visit? If the former, can you tell me if you are having any fever or other signs of sickness? Thank you in advance for the information, as this allows me to best address your questions and concerns.

I’m a 40 yr old female. Have always had a WBC of 11+ so dr wanted to monitor it. I did have a bad sinus infection the day before blood test and was on omnicef and a steroid shot in my hip. Only symptom I have chronically is extreme fatigue
Hello??

Yes, I am here. Please give me a moment as I am typing out a lengthy reply. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for that information, that context is very important and helpful. As I'm sure you are aware, your white blood cells (WBC) make up your immune system which is tasked with protecting your from infection. 15.3 is mildly elevated from a generally accepted 10.5 as the upper limit of normal, but not alarmingly so. The recent sinus infection likely explains the mild elevation. Neutrophils and lymphocytes are sub-types of WBC. Neutrophils in particular rise in response to bacterial infections, so the elevation again makes sense in light of your currently being treated bacterial sinusitis. In addition to all of the above, steroid medications typically cause the immune system to "rev up" a bit, which can explain entirely the elevations in WBC, neutrophils and lymphocytes. So, all in all, in the setting of a bacterial infection on antibiotics and having received oral steroids, nothing on your blood test is concerning or unusual.

Can I answer anything else for you today?

I was curious only because they have been monitoring the constantly elevated WBC for for yrs but it’s never gone above 12. I tend to catch colds often and feel fatigued often so I started getting concerned. They were concerned about LUPUS a couple of yrs ago as I had a “butterfly rash” across from my nose and cheeks. So that’s all I wanted to know was whether I need be concerned or not. Appointment isn’t for a week

I understand. With a WBC count hovering in the <12 range for years, no, I would not be concerned. That would not be a sign of any chronic illness, nor would it explain frequent colds or fatigue. I'm sure your doctor did some further testing to rule out lupus when you have the butterfly rash on the face. No need for immediate concern with these present blood test results. I hope I've provided you with some peace of mind. You can certainly follow up with your doctor next week during your appointment with any more detailed questions or concerns. Please let me know if there is any other way I can help out.

If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.