Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

When I lay down in bed my calves, both will hurt deep into…

Thank you, ***** *****...

Thank you, ***** ***** lay down in bed my calves, both will hurt deep into muscle and musc

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I will have to get up and stretch the calves to get relief, short relief as streched muscles tight, also take meds for pain , hydrocodone that is percribed for my back pain and legs but wasnt percribed for this pain, i just take it for it too

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had an ultrasound of legs done two weeks ago to check for lack of blood flow, but that was excellent.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/1/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)

Hello -

How old are you?

Do both legs hurt at the same time?

Have you had a MRI of your lower back (lumbar spine)?

46,
Yes both at same time
Yes i have. Many times. I had spinal fusion about 15 years ago, legs hurt when in bed in my calves, really lower legs from about knees down, either resting or trying to go to sleep.

OK, thank you for the answers.

Do you remember if your spinal fusion was at the L5-S1 level?

I take hydrocodone for breakthrough pain for my back and leg pain thats from old injury, but its not for the leg pain in lower legs. Iend up taking the pills more know because of new pain , been dealing with it for a year

OK.

Well - given the fact that you:

1. have pain in both legs at the same time

2. a history of spinal fusion

this strongly suggests an issue at the L5-S1 level in your lower back. You may have had surgery at this level, or this may be below your previous surgery -- either way, a MRI of the lumbar spine should be ordered, to rule out issues such as a herniated disc in the lumbar spine.

Please talk with your doctor about the MRI. I think it will explain your pain.

Best of luck.

My fusion was at L4-5 and L5- S1. Standard bone fusion with 6 screws and instrumentation . This intense lower leg pain is only in bed and not all time constant.

Can you reproduce your pain if you lean back (extend your lumbar spine)?

Or while sitting, lift your entire leg up (like you are kicking a ball that is higher than your head)?

No the pain is constant. I am not thinking its from the back. Calves at top of muscle is very temder also

OK.

Well, the most common reason for your type of pain would be an issue in the lower back - lumbar stenosis.

However, your doctor can also look for other issues:

blood flow issues, poor arterial blood flow (uncommon in a 46 year old)

peripheral neuropathy (also uncommon in 46 year old)

muscle strain injury, inflammation (but both legs hurt at the same time)

blood clots in the leg (but again, pain only when you lie down, and in both legs at the same time)

myopathy (but only the calf muscles hurt, not other muscles)

Your doctor can do some blood tests as well, but I still believe that they should get some type of imaging of your lower back, just to rule the most common issue out.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Thanks

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)