Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I'm 33 and healthy. I had surgery in January, plastic

surgery, and healed fine. Today...
I'm 33 and healthy. I had surgery in January, plastic surgery, and healed fine. Today I went to an urgent care and they did a urine test.
I'm currently on my period and and on nasal spray for my sinus issues. I cleaned well and left a small sample. He said there was a small trace of billrubin in my urine. I became very very worried because he said I could have a liver problem. Can you please help me with this? We did blood work and sent it out.
I have no other issues.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Hello I'm Dr Chip
I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in just a moment

Did you have preoperative blood work for the surgery and, if so, were all the results normal?

They use a strip test for the urine. And he felt my liver and gallbladder and there's no pain.
They did but I think it was pretty basic blood work. Everything was fine they said.
My surgeon did a metabolic blood panel and blood cells but didn't test liver function.
I'm so, so scared that I have a failing liver.

I really don't see a need to worry here

Those preop tests would have checked your liver enzymes and you would have been told if anything was abnormal

And a small trace of urine bilirubin on a dip stick is really nothing I would consider worrisome as it would pertain to your liver

You don't have a failing liver

Please let me know if you need any more information

I read that bilirubin in urine is not normal.
Other then my liver, what would cause that in my urine?

There can be a trace in the urine but I think what was registering was urobilinogen which is a metabolite of bilirubin and a trace of that isn't an indication of a liver problem

Ok. This was a urine strip test. He said a colored strip?
What would a trace of that be from?

As I said urobilinogen is a metabolite of bilirubin and well all have in in our urine

I went in for a stomach bug, to make sure I didn't have to real flu. My stomach is a mess today and I'm on antiacids because I drank red wine and then came home and had an upset stomach.
from the stomach bug, he ran urine tests and then blood and officially made me a nervous wreck. I'm crying in my car, I'm so worried.
Can there be something wrong with my liver? Or could diet and no alcohol fix it?
1 bilirubin on the urine test that is a strip.

I promise you there isn't anything wrong with your liver and quite frankly I don't understand why the doctor told you that

I'm sure the blood work results will confirm that

Have you ever seen bilirubin in urine for no reason?

Traces, yes

And those patients all had normal liver enzymes and no liver problems

Ok. Is +1 a trace!?
Could it be gallbladder related? Not liver?

Yes--that's just a trace

But it isn't related to either your liver or your gall bladder

Ok. Thank you. He was an alarmist. He was a PA, first of all. And I didn't have to pee and so I gave a tiny sample. And then it turned into the bilirubin in my urine conversation and he wasn't checking my sinus, which I originally came for.

I would tell you if I thought you had a liver problem--promise

Let me know how your blood work results go

I appreciate it I spent two hours on the internet and got very nervous
Have since used the bathroom and my urine is a light yellow color. Doesn't look dark at all. Didn't when he tested it either.

Then it's definitely not a liver problem with that color

It is always a very light color. To clear. I've never seen an abnormal color- it's generally yellow when I wake up or if I haven't had water and then after my water it's light

I promise you--your liver is fine

Makes me worried reading this.

In your case I totally disagree with that

Ok. Why am I different?

Again, the trace bilirubin simply doesn't bother me

Plus I'm sure you had your liver enzymes checked in January and since I'm sure you would have been told if your liver enzymes were elevated they weren't

So there's simply no way that you could have developed significant liver problems in just a month

I understand. But I asked my surgeon and the didn't do liver panel. They did basic blood work.
My urine is never dark at all! Stool normal colored. I'm just so upset that there was some in my urine.
Could best case scenario be gallbladder?

Well basic blood work would be a complete metabolic panel that would have included liver enzymes

Best case scenario is my opinion that the bilirubin in your urine isn't indicative of any problem with your liver or your gall bladder

I understand your concern but you're really working yourself up over nothing here

Blood results are in. Liver was all normal. I had a slightly higher neutrophil but I just got over a stomach bug a few days ago.
And my platelets were slightly elevated but I'm on my period right now.
Does that seem ok?

All that sounds just fine

So are you over the liver worry now?

Should I be concerned about the platelets or the neutrophil? Signify anything?

Neither of those would indicate any medical problem so you don't need to worry about that either

Ok. Considered about platelets elevated...why would that be

What was the value?

410
They were done in December and were normal.
I had a stomach bug this weekend and am finally over that. But cramps lasted all week

For most labs 450,000 is high normal

So that's really not elevated and it doesn't signify a medical problem

Ok. Thank you for all of your help. I feel fine.

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)