Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Just had a std panel and a positive hsv2 freaking out I go…

Just had a std...

Just had a std panel and a positive hsv2 freaking out I go to Dr on Tues feel like I'm gonna have a stroke

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I have never had any symptoms or out breaks just started dating again and a man asked if I was clean so I thought I am but decided to get tested and got the shock of my life

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am 56 not promiscuous i 3 years ago had kidney cancer and had a partial nephrectomy

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

I go Tues to Dr and I have been searching everything and feel so scared and confused

2/25/2018
Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer, Doctor (MD)

Hi, I'm Dr. Jennifer. I'm sorry this is happening to you! Thankfully we have excellent medication that you can take to suppress the virus and keep the risk of a breakout or transmission extremely low. What other worries do you have?

How do I tell this man I'm dating and could it possibly be a false positive?
Can't afford to call

Don't worry about the call, it's the system automatically prompting.

There's always a chance of a false positive, but the chance is small. It's something to consider if you've never had symptoms.

That's a really tough question, how to talk to a partner about this. Especially since you've never had symptoms. But we generally recommend talking about any issues before you start sexual activity; if it's too early in the relationship for that, then it's ok to wait to talk about it. I would certainly wait until you've spoken to your Doctor on Tuesday and discussed the rate of false positives for the particular test you took and whether it's worth repeating the test.

On the other hand, the risk of transmitting the virus is very low if you're:

1. not having an outbreak

2. on suppressive medication and

3. using condoms

This is a very useful article about what it means to test positive without having had an outbreak, and also which tests can give false positives and under what circumstances. I would bring it to your appointment so you and your doctor can examine your test results in detail: https://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/27/getting-tested-for-herpes/

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!

Tried to help sent other links she was a 5

Let me know if there's any other questions you have!

Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer, Doctor (MD)