Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Stabbing then aching pain above and back a little of my ear…

Stabbing then aching pain above...
Stabbing then aching pain above and back a little of my ear on my right side only. Has been going on for a week now. And I don’t get headaches very often. I can only describe the pain as an earach type but my ears don’t hurt.
2/17/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Are you diabetic?

Do you have tooth and gum infection?

Is there any rash?

Is the pain continuous or intermittent?

no gum or mouth pain. It feels like a earache in my head as far as describing the pain. it started more intermittent but are getting more frequent. Has woken me up sleeping oo.
not diabetic

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Shingles can be a possibility. Occasionally no rash is seen or appear late.

Trigeminal neuralgia is another possibility of the diagnosis.

Other possibilities to look for are Referred otalgia (ear pain), which means pain in ear may not be related to ear diseases but remote or distant anatomical sites which share dual and common nerve supply (innervation) with the ear, and noxious stimuli to these areas may be perceived as ear (otogenic) pain. By definition, referred otalgia is the sensation of ear pain originating from a source outside the ear. Following are the causes which may be considered;

1) Chronic sinusitis; an MRI or the CT scan of sinuses would be suggested. Allergic fungal sinusitis, Barosinusitis should be looked for the cause.

2) Neck problems can also refer pain to the ears. These disorders include cervical osteoarthritis, cervical myofascial pain syndrome, and traumatic injuries. MRI of the neck spine would be advised.

3) Eagle syndrome, in which the elongated styloid process irritates branches of cranial nerves can cause ear pain. MRI of styloid process is needed, but this is not a common cause.

4) Laryngitis, esophagitis and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) can be responsible for the bilateral ear pain which increases during migraine. Direct laryngoscopy, upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, 24 hours pH estimation of the esophagus would diagnose these issues. A therapeutic trial of antacids and acid blockers may also help in determining the cause and may give the clue for the further investigative work up.

5) Various neuralgias; Apart from trigeminal neuralgia; various other neuralgias can cause the ear pain. Sphenopalatine and vidian neuralgias cause ear. Glossopharyngeal neuralgia, which causes a phantom tonsillar pain, may also cause otalgia.

6) Meniere disease.

7) Tympanic tube dysfunctions.

8) Dental disorders of malocclusion.

9) TMJ joint issue.

Following investigations, would be advised;

1) Thyroid function and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR).

2) Antibodies for thyroiditis.

3) Vestibulocochlear testing.

4) Audiography

5) Nasal endoscopy.

6) Upper aerodigestive tract endoscopy,

7) Laryngoscopy.

Consulting an ENT specialist or a neurologist would be ideal.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

If the headache persists how long is a normal time to wait to see a specialist. Or what symptoms should I see if it is something major? How long is it safe to take ibuprofen it takes 800 ml to help. My insurance sucks and most will be out of pocket.

Since it has already been a week, wait till this weekend. Monday you may seek an appointment with an ENT specialist if this persists.

This may not be serious or sinister, but do warrant an exam and investigations to ascertain the cause.

It is privilege assisting you.

Ok thanks

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)