Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Not sure but I had gastritus for about 3months. Since then…

Not sure but I had...
Not sure but I had gastritus for about 3months . Since then Mo more stomach pain up till today after I had taken 1 pill of enzymes. Pain lasted for about 4 hours feels better now but still a little touchy after I ate dinner . Did this reaggrivate my gastritus.
1/23/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Were you diagnosed gastritis by upper gastrointestinal endoscopy?

What treatment was prescribed?

What are your present medications?

I was diagnosed with by a internal medicine guy and gastro guy. They wanted to put me on Prilosec and then another one . Both medicines did not agree with me so went on stricked diet and powered through it . After three months felt better but then upon recommendation went and did and endoscopy. They found minor inflammation of the stomach lining and throat.Since then I have had sore throat constant which I did not have before the procedure. Again stayed on diet and lifestyle changes . Swallowing started to feel affected. Endoscopy was done September 6th 2017 . Been going to an ent guy and he has been looking at the throat First time in October he diagnosed laryngitis from procedure. Last week he had diagnosed me with acid reflux. And told to take tumms. However I do not have burning or Chest pain . There going with silent acid reflux. Anyway started to take a more natural antacid axia3. That had some enzymes in it because throat had been hurting and so uncomfortable. After one dose throat stated to feel better. Next morning took another dose after breakfast and stomach started to hurt . Mind you had not had stomach issues in awhile. But all articles I have been reading say acid reflux is to Little acid . So was not sure if it was the antacid or enzyme that did not agree with me . So took 1 pill of the enzymes. With food . Stomach hurt for about 4 hrs . Now pain is gone after eating dinner around 8pm. Throat seems to be feeling ok . But I and feel a tiny irritated. So sorry for long history. This has been so challenging. Would like to start feeling better. Thx for any input and or suggestions. Wondering if I should just stay with diet and or go back on the antacid . Or just get on an antacid. Also tried Apple cider vinegar yesterday morning stomach felt a little not good and throat burned . This was with 1 teaspoon of acv. And 16 ounce water . Did not Finish the acv mixture because of the burning . Also mint seems to make throat burn a little
Also been drinking more water . Camamile and ginger tea . Slippery elm throat lodges and dgl licorice.
Aloe Vera

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Thank you

Your symptoms point to reflux laryngitis. Following investigations may be able to confirm it;

1) Barium esophagography

2) Ambulatory 24-hour pharyngoesophageal pH monitoring

Following measures are helpful:

1) Small 5-6 meals a day.

2) Last meal should be eaten 3 hours before lying down.

3) Avoid; fried or fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint, alcohol, coffee, carbonated beverages, citrus fruits or juices, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar.

4) Eat slowly so air is not swallowed.

5) Swallowing therapy by a speech-language pathologist.

6) Lose weight if obese or overweight.

7) Elevate the head of the bed by 6 inches.

8) Avoid tight clothing.

9) Stop smoking, if you do.

Please see the resource;

http://www.medicinenet.com/reflux_laryngitis/article.htm

Reflux laryngitis or laryngopharyngeal reflux or extraesophageal GERD, differs from traditional GERD in that it does not manifest as heartburn and tends to occur when the patient is upright as opposed to lying flat.

Environmental pollutants and toxic products found in workplaces can also cause chronic laryngitis and can be responsible for throat irritation. Infectious and allergic laryngitis is identified by following investigations;

a) MRI of larynx

b) Skin allergy test

c) Serologic markers for autoimmune disorders/ autoimmune panel.

d) Swab of the larynx, culture and sensitivities for bacteria, fungi, and viruses.

e) Sputum culture.

Chronic laryngitis is treated by;

1) Antibiotics

2) Anti allergic
3) Avoidance of fat, alcohol, and caffeine (if one does)

4) Avoid tobacco or smoking (if you do)

5) Avoid environment pollutants and irritants.
6) Steam inhalation
7) Room humidifier

8) Drinking plenty of liquids (2-3 liters a day).

You may take Tums when there is aggravation off and on.

Helpful Nutrition and supplements are;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.

5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Wow seem to be right on . Pretty much following that protocol and lines up with a speech therapist that I have been seeing for about three visits . She has also been giving me exercises to do. Throat feels better in the morning but by the middle day and evening it starts to feel more irritated and swallowing more of a concern/ harder. One other thing about 4 weeks ago after protocol I was feeling great eating more and with ease . Weight coming up. Btw 5’9” 130. Was 155 when stomach started up back in June . Was down to 128 after feeling normal was 137 and then I was eating some salmon with cooked veggies and sweet potatoes. That was my lunch go too just about every day since this whole episode and ended up choking. And could not breathe. Took a sip of water and cleared it . Had salmon since and been ok but since that episode that’s when throat started to hurt again and swallowing more of an effort. And now down to 130. Trying to keep my weight up . Do think allergy to the salmon and the fact that symptoms came back is viral
Btw ent guy did not see any ab struction after that incident and said that there was inflammation but less than when he had First looked at my throat
Oh ok to drink water upon waking 16oz and then waiting 45 min to eat breakfast
Been using olive oil and coconut oil and putting in oatmeal
smoothies . Oatmeal ok .
Btw will definitely give the 5 stars
You’ve been great and really appreciate your help and input
I had been on supplements but backed off because of swallowing issues

Thanks for your kind words.

Oatmeal is okay and so are olive oil and coconut oil.

You may take supplements if you wish. They won't aggravate the problem.

Your water intake is good.

Mild exercises like walking and relaxation techniques would help.

It is privilege assisting you.

Last thing . Any comments on how after feeling so good after long protocol 4 weeks ago and the super quick went to the sore throat and swallowing issue . Is that how this particular reflux works . Or do you think viral
Oh . Do you think allergic to Salmon . Hope not . I don’t eat red meat . Also sliced Turkey ok .
Also doing yoga

Slight fluctuations or exacerbations are expected four or five times a year.

So nothing to worry.
Yoga is very good and continue it.

One last thing . Axia3 has the sodium chloride and calcium bicarbonate ad well as enzymes and they have one with probiotics. Seem to agree with me but it comes in mint flavor or orange flavor but suttle . Go with that product or go with the tumms . Tumms has way more mg than axia3

Tums is better, so would recommend it.

You can take probiotics separately.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Ok . Thx for all Your input

You are very welcome.

When you get a min. I just had another question. It’s been running around my mind every so often . Before the endoscopy I did have have severe stomach pain, and nausea and pain after meals was on the brat diet. But I did not have throat issue . Maybe tiny irrigation but not to the level it has been. But right after the endoscopy is when the throat had gotten worse. Even the ent. Said throat was most likely irritated from the procedure but will heal . 4 months later still hurting. Do you think it was possible that the endoscopy messed up my LES. And if so should it eventually heal . Attached is the results from the Endoscopy for some more insight . He also said they removed a palup in the neck area but was benign . Thx so much .
To this day never really understood the results except gastro said everything is ok . Maybe the results can confirm what we had already discussed. Big time thx in advance.

LES is not affected by endoscopy.

Ok cool. Makes me feel much better. Just going to stay with the protocol and keep positive for complete healing. It’s been going on for awhile and sometimes it gets me down . Thx again for everything.
It’s been tough keeping the weight on not sure if it’s absortion issue or not eating as much . My big concern is if I get on the tums. Will mess up my absorption