Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My blood sugar is 333 and I am on flimeperide and 1000

metformin. What should I do...
My blood sugar is 333 and I am on flimeperide and 1000 metformin. What should I do to lower it really quick
1/22/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your high blood glucose levels. now regarding how to lower these levels quickly at home, actually it is NOt recommended that you use any medications to try and lower this glucose at home, the reason for that being that glimepiride and metformin are relatively longer acting drugs and using a higher dose of them can lead to paradoxically low levels of glucose. While high glucose levels are harmful in the long term (which means that if they remain elevated for days, weeks or months), low blood glucose levels are actually VERY harmful in the short term and can even lead to damage to the brain if not corrected immediately. This is why we NEVER advise our patients to double the dose of medications to try and bring down the glucose levels quickly.

The safest thing for you to do at home right now to control the glucose levels would be to drink an increased amount of plain water. This is very important because high glucose levels like this would lead to increased urination which in turn will cause dehydration. And that dehydration can lead to serious side effects. This is why you should start using an increased amount of plain water. This will PREVENT the development of diabetic emergencies like hyperosmolar come as well as diabetic ketoacidosis.

But the glucose level should be brought down in URGENT care or the ER under the supervision of a doctor OR in your doctor's office and I would advise that you do that.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)