Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

A mild pain in my calf. Last night. I walked for about two…

A mild pain in...

A mild pain in my calf

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Last night. I walked for about two hours at my son's party

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Scared it could be a clot

1/21/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)

Hello-

Do you have any swelling in that leg?

Does it hurt if you press in that area?

No sir , it's very mild not a cramping pain either more sore I guess. I have no risk factors. I don't smoke, drink, no drugs. No heart disease etc. I'm just scared bc I went on the internet

Yes, the internet can be a very scary place.

Most likely - calf pain is related to muscle strain. If you were walking and used the muscle a bit too much -- you could get calf pain. Just as if you went to the gym and worked out -- the muscles can be sore. Sometimes the pain can come from nerve inflammation (like sciatica), sometimes it can come from inflammation of tendons in the area.

Without risk factors - a blood clot is quite unlikely. Especially if you do not have swelling in the leg.

Of course, if your symptoms do not improve as expected (muscle strain discomfort improves within a few days), then seeing your doctor would be best.

I apologize - I am actually working at the hospital right now, and am not able to call at the moment.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Consultant
Phone call session started
I was in the ER on Fri and sat around for 5 hours waiting to be seen. I guess that sitting scared me. My blood work says
D-Dimer <230 is that a good

Is that D-Dimer in micrograms?

A low D-Dimer is good, because that means that a clot is unlikely.

When you form a blood clot, the D-Dimer level goes up -- and if you had a high level, they would have ordered an ultrasound of your legs to look for a clot. When you have a low level blood test, they will not even order an ultrasound, because it is unlikely that you would have a clot.

Verbatim as it reads.
D-Dimer result <230 units ng/ML^ng/mall
Range 0-230Cut off value for exclusion of DVT is <230 ng/ml

OK. That is perfect.

Your D-Dimer result is below the level where they would suspect a DVT.

You have over a 99% chance that this is not a DVT.

I was in the ER on Fri. Everything came back unremarkable. I sat for 5 hours waiting to be seen so sitting for that 5 hours then being seen paired with walking yesterday and the pain I freaked out. Thinking what if it developed in the ER while I was sitting. They were packed and I live in an excellent neiborhood
not a chance on developed between then and now? Sorry, I freaked out and started to panic. I truly appreciate you helping me. This has consumed most of my day. I was about to go to urgent care or the ER again.

It's still unlikely that it developed.

Many people sit for long periods of time (like at work). People sleep for a long period of time. Leg clots are still very rare in everyday normal life (without those risk factors you mentioned).

And if you don't notice any swelling in your calf -- along with the normal D-Dimer, it is highly unlikely you have a blood clot. Go enjoy your day!

Thank you. I am extremely happy. Thank you Dr. Mark