Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Can I take amoxicillin for bronchitis? I am coughing up the…

Can I take amoxicillin...

Can I take amoxicillin for bronchitis? I am coughing up the rubber worms.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

7 days. The first 3 days there was low grade fever, chills, headache

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No cough, day 4 no fever, no chills, no headache but the cough started. med. hx: nothing lung related. I might have. aspirated a bit of tangerine about ten days ago.

1/21/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually if you are coughing up discolored phlegm (yellow, green or rust-colored) then it is likely that you have a bacterial infection of the lungs and in that case, antibiotics would be necessary. Secondly if you have truly aspirated a tangerine then you will need strong antibiotics to cover the bacteria which may have traveled into your lungs, usually, clindamycin or metronidazole would be necessary in that case or even amoxicillin/clavulanate would also work.

Usually, with bronchitis, you would also have shortness of breath or even wheezing which would progressively get worse. Now ideally the best drug which would work for bronchitis would be azithromycin or zpack. this drug would cover most if not all of the organisms which can cause bronchitis and I would suggest that you see your doctor and use this antibiotic if possible and also get a chest x-ray done.

BUT to answer your question, YES amoxicillin can also be used for bronchitis, it is not the best option but it can certainly be used in a dose of 500 mg every 6 hours for a period of 7-10 days.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)