Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

L am soon undergoing surgery for a lumbar microdisectomy as…

Hi...l am soon undergoing...

Hi...l am soon undergoing surgery for a lumbar microdisectomy as l had a slipped disk and two weeks later l had a severe crush nerve compression to lower leg. It feels numb down side and under foot. As l have two problems. Doctor thinks that by releasing the nerve in spine will relieve chronic pain in lower leg. I personally am very scared that under the surgery will make blockage in leg worse. I am currently taking 900mg of gabapentin to relieve pain. I've always had low blood pressure but believe these drugs lower heart rate even more. My doctor said it should be ok to take these drugs before but lm frightened it may have an effect.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

No they haven't had heart disease in my family. With such a severe nerve crush as well as a slipped disk l wanted to see a neurologist 1st to see if nerve damage is severe but my doctor keeps telling me it's the disk causing problem. I'm wondering if the severe feeling to the lower calf and foot will have a problem with circulation. Anyway..lm going private in a few weeks but lm sure the anethatist will check this.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I use to smoke about 10 years ago..stressed with teens and my chest feels a little tight with the gabapentin..l have a few drinks now and again.

1/20/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Hello Emma,

A colored doppler study can see the blood circulation and clearly establish or rule out pain caused by circulatory issue.

An EMG and nerve conduction velocity studies can be done to look for pinched nerves causing the pain.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have plucked up the courage to have non invasive surgery first. I'm fortunate my parents are paying for this. If problem still persists l shall strongly pursue the Doppler study and EMG which l wanted in the first place. I think the cost of nerve conduction will cost £500-1000 and will have further costs under a private neurologist. Will the doctors or anethatist check the circulation before my surgery or would that have to be a separate issue under a neurologist. My quality of life will be severely impeded if l do not get to a neurologist soon. I will have to have faith that the disc surgery will help me as well in the long run.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have plucked up the courage to have non invasive surgery first. I'm fortunate my .mparents are paying for this. If problem still persists l shall strongly pursue the Doppler study and EMG which l wanted in the first place. I think the cost of nerve conduction will cost £500-1000 and will have further costs under a private neurologist. Will the doctors or anethatist check the circulation before my surgery or would that have to be a separate issue under a neurologist. My quality of life will be severely impeded if l do not get to a neurologist soon. I will have to have faith that the disc surgery will help me as well in the long run.

With your symptoms and manifestations, the disc / nerve surgery is very likely to help you.

Anesthetist would not check for the lower limb arteries or circulation.

But your GP or neurologist would examine them.

It is privilege assisting you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)