Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am wondering if a blood pressure of 156/97 will 81 pulse…

I am wondering if...

I am wondering if a blood pressure of 156/97 will 81 pulse is need for alarm? This was at resting and had onset of headache and heaviness. 40 year old female not on blood pressure meds. Thank you.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Episodic and no desire to eat but no nausea currently.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

That should cover it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

This is an high blood pressure. There is no urgent need of going to a doctor but you need to monitor your blood pressure.

You need to repeat it every 2-3 hours for twice or thrice. If the blood pressure reading is more than 160 (systolic, upper reading) or 110 (diastolic, lower reading); you may need immediate medication.

Any blood pressure which is persistently above 140/90, will also require medicines but that can be consulted on a routine appointment.

Following measures would be helpful meanwhile;

a) Patients with the hypertension do need to restrict table salt which is considered as a prime regulator of the blood pressure. It is advised to reduce sodium intake to no more than 2.4 g sodium or 6 g sodium chloride per day. It is also advised that adequate intake of dietary potassium (approximately 90 mmol/d), helps in reducing the blood pressure.

b) Following dietary and nutrition measure are strongly recommended to bring down the blood pressure;

A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products may lower blood pressure by 10-16 mm Hg.
Oral potassium supplement may lower both systolic and diastolic pressure. Calcium and magnesium supplements, too, decrease the in blood pressure.
Low alcohol consumption lowers the blood pressure.
Stop smoking, if you do and reducing intake of dietary saturated fat and cholesterol benefits tremendously in overall cardiovascular health.
Following reduce and regulate the blood pressure:

1) Garlic

2) Fish oil

3) Herb Hawthorn

4) Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you very much. I will continue to monitor it and recommendations for lowering it. Thank you.

You are very welcome.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)