Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I woke up with-diarrhea this a.m. I, have had it all today…

Hi. I woke up...

Hi. I woke up with-diarrhea this a.m. I, have had it all today and still have it. I have gerd,but no other GI problems. Is it ok for me to take something like Imodium now? I cannot even leave my house to visit an MD or go to work. Please help!

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No me yet. I take Synthroid, toprol, fexafenadine, keppra methadone and Tramadol for chronic pain.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No pain other than a hyper tummy. Nothing makes it better. Everything I eat or drink goes right through me. Today I have had 1/2 bowl ok cereal and 2--3 glasses of tea.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had a heart attack and a stroke in 2014. Doing ok now

1/20/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Yes, you can take Imodium.

The initial management is following (it is likely stomach flu / viral gastroenteritis):

1) PeptoBismol

2) Lomotil / Imodium; if the diarrhea is vigorous.

3) Gatorade / Pedialyte

4) Plenty of fluids

5) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Vegetable broths / vegetable soups, coconut water also can help.

6) Probiotics

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Thank you so very much. I really appreciate your being there for folks like me. I wish you all the success and happiness life has to offer.

You are most welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution of your symptoms.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)