Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have been feeling sick for a week and a half now. Last…

Hi. I have been feeling...
Hi. I have been feeling sick for a week and a half now. Last Tuesday it started, I felt weak, fatigues, had chills and fever, nausea, acid reflux with a burning feeling in the stomach, and loose light brown stools. Went to the doctor and was told it was a virus and to wait it out. I've got over the majority of the symptoms but still get nausea, the acid issue, and the loose light brown stools, and I've started to get stomach cramps too now. I'm starting to be able to eat a little more now but these symptoms don't seem to be showing any sign of leaving! What do you think it is? What should I do?
1/19/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Hello David,

Very occasionally, a lingering virus can stay for 10 days. Since your symptoms have improved significantly, it is unlikely to be serious. But there is a possibility of it being a bacterial disease which you have overcome. You may ask your doctor to get general investigative work up to know if you still require a mild antibiotic.

Meanwhile you may start probiotics, which will help you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Is it possible for this to linger for longer than that? It doesn’t show any signs of leaving.
Also I’m concerned that no one else has these symptoms. Most people at my office have had the flu but nothing like what I’m suffering from. Surely someone else (especially my girlfriend) would have caught it off me?

Infections may linger on by symptoms. The population of virus or bacteria is not sufficient enough the transmit the disease, but body may not completely eradicate it. This is not uncommon phenomenon.

Eventually you would overcome. Investigations would be done to confirm that nothing serious is going on.

You may take following to improve body immunity so your symptoms may resolve early;

1) Vitamin C.

2) Zinc supplement.

3) Probiotics.

You may consider an ultrasound to look the cause for loose bowels and stomach cramps.

It is privilege assisting you.

Some of your present symptoms can be due to medications side effects too.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Unfortunately I'm not on any medication.Thanks for your answers. I'll just have to wait and schedule an ultrasound or other tests if I don't see any improvements.

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a very speedy resolution of your symptoms.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)