Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a platelet count of 438. All of my other blood work…

Customer Question
I have a platelet...

I have a platelet count of 438. All of my other blood work came back completely in the normal tange

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Fine

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Health
1/18/2018
Health Professional: Onlinedoc, General Physician replied 7 months ago
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

What are your age and gender?

Do you suffer from any symptoms?

Are you taking any medicines?

Any medical illness?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

At my routine doctor appointment last week my BP was 120/80. My BMI is 24. I’m a 34 y/o female. Never been a drinker or smoker. No pain, tiredness or any other symptoms. I feel energized and healthy. I workout, eat decent, but rarely drink water. I’m in a bad habit of lots of coffee and no water. I also suffer from anxiety (hence why I am paying $22 dollars to hopefully get reassurance that a platelet level of 438 doesn’t indicate cancer). My docto never called me back and I really want to know if this platelet count is worrisome. Some results online say 450 is the top of the normal range, but my lab says 425 is normal.
Oh, and I’m not in medication.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, your result is slightly higher than your lab normal range.

It is tested on an automatic Hematology analyzer and sometimes it can give results higher due to platelet clumping with RBC.

Normal range can vary.

Your platelet count is not worrisome if it's not more than 500000 so you shouldn't worry about cancer if you don't have any symptoms like weight loss, persistent fever, bleeding.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Why might it be elevated?

Thank you for replying back.

High platelets occur as a symptom of another disease or condition, such as anemia, infection.

If your other blood tests results are within normal range and you don't have any symptoms so such slight elevation is not worrisome.

You shouldn't worry about anything serious like cancer.

You should go for repeat testing after 2 weeks with a manual peripheral blood smear from a pathologist.
I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.
Waiting for your reply.

What is your degree?

I'm a general physician.