Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a question about Xanax. I took .25 mg of Xanax at…

I have a question...

I have a question about Xanax.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I took .25 mg of Xanax at bedtime only for about 2 years. I stopped taking it at night about 2 weeks ago & now I am experiencing insomnia. Maybe sleeping 2 hours at the most. Could the insomnia be a result of stopping the Xanax even though I took such a low dose? I did/do not take it any other time.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take medication for high blood pressure (AM & PM) & thyroid. I am allergic to penicillin, erythromycin, lisinipril & cannot take statin drugs. I just got over the flu.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I stopped taking plaquenil is Aug. after 7 years. I had been diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome when I started it. New rheumatologist did blood work & said negative forSjogren's. More likely fibromyalgia.

1/18/2018
Dr. Rahman
Dr. Rahman, Doctor (MD)

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** and I'm a neurologist; the answers on this side are purely for educational purposes. I'm sorry to hear about your insomnia. The short answer is, yes, the insomnia you are experiencing is very likely to be due to the abrupt cessation of the Xanax. Even at such a low dose of Xanax, your body has gotten used to it and likely depends on it to be able to sleep. Over time with chronic use of benzodiazepines, the receptors in the brain that modulate certain neurotransmitters to go to sleep actually change, and they rely on the benzodiaepine to function properly. The symptoms and signs of benzodiazepines withdrawal can include insomnia, tremors, anxiety, perceptual disturbances, dysphoria, psychosis, and seizure. Benzodiazepine withdrawal is something you should try to avoid at all costs. I advise that if you would like to come off of the Xanax, go back to your physician for a slow taper schedule to try to avoid the resulting insomnia and other side effects. For now, it is advisable to go back on the Xanax until you are able to speak to your treating physician.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen. If you need more assistance, please let me know. Thank you! - Dr. Rahman

Dr. Rahman
Dr. Rahman, Doctor (MD)
Thank you very much? I will contact my Dr.
Can you advise how long it takes for the insomnia to subside? I do not have any of the other symptoms.

Hello, once you restart the Xanax I would expect the insomnia to subside pretty immediately. Good luck!