Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Please help me, No i just took the oraquick hiv test and…

Please help me Doctor's...

Please help me

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No i just took the oraquick hiv test and tested negative but I drank a few sips of iced tea and directions say no eating or drinking within 30 minutes of taking the test I’m crying and losing my mind . The test checks the antibodies in the saliva do u know if this test is not accurate because I drank 15 before

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I have insomnia and take benzodiazepines for sleep and anxiety other than that I’m very worried about this test

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Can anyone see my name?
I hope this is private

Please provide some additional information.

What are your age and gender?

Do you have any exposure to unprotected sex, anal sex?

When had you exposure?

Was there any control line appeared on your test card?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

No, I can't see your name.

As its confidential and private.

I just took the oraquick test for hiv and tested negative but it states that u cannot drink or eat within 30 minutes but I drank a few sips of iced tea 15 before so will this test be not accurate?
Exposed more than 5 months ago
Thank god it’s private
Please help me
I did not have vaginal intercourse only oral sex the guy was hiv positive and did not tell me I don’t have any symptoms I’m a female , 44 years old, I gave him oral sex he did not ejaculate in my mouth but I am worried about pre cum and I have a broken tooth inside my mouth that exposes my nerve so the virus could have entered through that route so I decided to wait and took the test an hour ago but it said not to drink and I drank by accident now I’m not sure if it’s accurate or do I have to take another test?
Any thoughts?

Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, if there was control line appearing that is a truly negative test.

Iced tea wouldn't affect much.

Still, chances of HIV transmission from an oral sex are very slim( 0.0001%).

You are safe as per your exposure.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Thank u last question then why would oraquick the company who administers the test tell me that I may have had a false negative and that I should take the test over? Is this because they want to secure themselves from any future lawsuits or something of that nature? I called them and they said I have to take the test over ? What do u think?
you think I don’t have to retake the test that I can sleep at night? I have bad anxiety because of this issue?
Are u there?

Yes, I 'm here.

I am writing you the answer.

I had one line in the control but they test the antibodies present in saliva that’s how they do it why would they tell me to retake the test?
Ok thank you
Because I took 2 sips of iced tea 15 minutes earlier they told me it may have led to a false negative. I’m freaking out

Thank you for replying back.

Well as you describe, eating, drinking alcohol, or use oral care products (such as mouthwash, toothpaste or whitening strips) alter saliva which is used for Oraquick test.

If a line appears next to the letter "C" on the test stick, you would know your test is working and your results will be accurate.

I don't think to do retest based on your exposure as HIV transmission is very less likely with oral sex.

If you do not see a line next to the letter "C," the test is not working properly and you will need to get a new test.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.
Waiting for your reply.

Right so if drinking alters saliva how am I in the clear ? Only because control line was present? I was hoping u would say that drinking doesn’t really change the antibodies present in saliva or does it change the antibodies I’m confused and scared
I guess I’m confused about what the control line means? Does the control line appear due to my mouth swab or how does the control appear?
Sorry for so many questions

I understand your concern.

I want to give you assurance about negative HIV results are accurate based on your type of exposure.

As long as there was no ejaculation and no penetrating vaginal sex chances of HIV transmission from Oral sex are very very slim to negligible.

So, I don't think retest again based on your exposure.

Also, 2 sips of Iced tea wouldn't affect so much.

The letter "C" on the test stick stands for "control." This line means that your test is working. If NO line appears next to the letter "C," it means your test is not working and you will need to get a new test.

The letter "T" on the test stick stands for "test." A line next to the letter "T," even if the line is faint, and a line next to the letter "C", means that you have a positive test result and you may have HIV.

If there is no line appeared then the result is negative.

I hope this helps.

What causes the control line to appear? It’s not my saliva correct?

Oral fluid( saliva) caused control line(C) to appear including Test line( T).

Ok now I have a little better understanding about how the control line formed , thank u. I thought that the control line was embedded In the test and wasn’t sure it had anything to do with my saliva’s antibodies , so if my saliva caused the control line to appear I guess my antibodies in my saliva would also cause it to say that I’m negative or positive?
there was only one line that appeared . The control line .

Your antibodies in saliva would also cause it( appearance of Test line) if you were positive.

As you didn't have Test Line so you are negative.

I hope I am 100% negative . Last question for you would u recommend a blood test as well ?

I don't advise you a blood test if there was only Oral sex exposure.

Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Waiting for your reply.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Ok thank u

Good wishes for your health.

Thanks.
Take care.

Thank you so so much for your help. i was focused on the drink and I couldn’t understand how the control line meant that the test was working so you cleared it up for me . Good luck with a rewarding medical career and helping people which is so amazing and admirable being a physician and helping sick patients, god bless you !!��❤️

Welcome.
Kind Regards.