Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Had a question about the flu. I've been reading about people…

Hey I had a question...
Hey I had a question about the flu. I've been reading about people getting vaccinated and not only are getting sick but dying from flu complications, especially children. This has me concerned.
My daughter was vaccinated in October and I'm wondering if it makes sense 2 vaccinate her again?
Couple of reasons for this question. She received her vaccine at Walgreens and there was some kind of report that certain vaccines Walgreens used were not at the correct temperature and may not be as effective in two, even if this wasn't the case, would a second vaccine dose provide increased protection?
Thanks
1/18/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Oh, here we go with that media hype thing. People do die from the flu every year. This one seems to be hitting kids and the elderly more than usual and this strain seems to be somewhat resistant to the vaccine

But she doesn't need a second shot--more is not better in a case like this.

She should be fine

Thank you. I had considered the media hype thing which is gross to me considering its children were talking about.
I suppose one comfort that I had is despite knowing that the flu vaccine is anything but perfect I've always been told that if you do get the flu you're much less likely to face severe complications than if you did not get the shot in the first place. But that does not seem to be bearing out this year.
Other than the common sense approaches to preventing the flu you recommend to your patients other kind of supplements or strategies they can use at it the odds in their favor?

Wash your hands a lot and take vitamin C and eat well--nothing magical there

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Fine, I'll put the Twinkies away. For now.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)