Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I was prescribed Prednisone for an upper respiratory

I was prescribed Prednisone...

I was prescribed Prednisone for an upper respiratory infection. I took 40 mg yesterday and 20 today. I cannot stand the side effects. Can I stop taking it after 2 days ? I did cut the dose in half today.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No daily medications, Inwas also prescribed Biaxin and albuferol(nebulizer) yesterday. The biaxin gave me a weird taste so hopefully the dr will call in another antibiotic.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have anxiety and have meds to take as needed but not daily

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Dr. Scott, Doctor (MD)

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

If you have only taken two days of prednisone, you can safely stop it without any long-term side effects. However, I do not know how this will affect your upper respiratory tract infection. Generally, steroids Such as prednisone are prescribed to decrease inflammation at the site of infection. Therefore, steroids are prescribed to help combat inflammation caused by infections. I would recommend letting your doctor know what you have done. Most people do have side effects from prednisone use, and it is common to stop it after one or two days.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

did you receive my previous answeR?

Dr. Scott, Doctor (MD)