Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am from Florida. I'm 19 weeks pregnant. I had a question.

Hello. I am from...

Hello. I am from Florida. I'm 19 weeks pregnant. I had a question. Today I ate two small pieces of kingfish and the day before I had one piece. The size of the pieces are less than my small finger. Then I read that it has high mercury. I am very concerned if it will affect the baby.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes I have a on gyn.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No everything is normal. I am Asian Indian so fish is a part of my daily diet until I got pregnant

1/17/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Doctor (MD)

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. First of all, congratulations!

Yes, you are correct that kingfish is one type of fish that tends to have a high mercury content. That being said, you have only eaten a very tiny amount. The chance of your baby being affected are slim to none. I think you're in the clear. Just do your best to avoid kingfish (and swordfish and tile fish; really any large fish) in the future. Keep taking your prenatal vitamins and hang in there!

Dr. J
Dr. J, Doctor (MD)
Thank you Dr. J. I appreciate for promptly replying to my concern.