Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I was having sex with my girlfriend and tore my frenulum.

I was having sex...

I was having sex with my girlfriend and tore my frenulum

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Yes and I’m in good health

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No nothing in particular

My question is I tore my frenulum after sex and in my opinion the bleeding was pretty severe. I woke up this morning and there still very minor blood were the tear is. Should I be worried that there’s still very little blood at the site of injury once I peel back the skin less than 24 hours in the injury?
1/17/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, if the bleeding has stopped and is not actively occurring or there is no swelling in the area then it is not anything I would be worried about even if there is minor blood at the site. The reason is that tears like these take at least 2-5 days to heal completely provided they are given an adequate amount of rest.

But to answer your question, I would not be worried about mild blood being present at the site as that is normal. As long as there is no significant bleeding or swelling or redness at the site then it should be fine.

If you have a picture of the region, I will be happy to take a look at it to make sure it is not anything serious.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Thank you for you quick response I truly appreciate itHopefully you get a picture to you I added to file

Keep this clean and dry, clean it with povidone-iodine solution and then wash it with saline solution. Then apply OTC Neosporin ointment on the area.

One last thing, did the tear occur during oral intercourse? If it did then you DEFINITELY need oral antibiotics because the human oral cavity contains many many bacteria and this can get very easily infected in that case.

Also keep a close eye on it, if you develop any of the signs that I mentioned earlier, immediately get treated with antibiotics by visiting your doctor or the ER.

Do you have any more questions?

I see thank you. No it was sexual intercourse and sorry another question for you.Why did it happen? Was it because my partner wasn’t lubricated enough? Sorry to get very specific but my partner seemed like she was lubricated and also shes pretty tight down there sorry for being so detailed but I’d liked to avoid it tearing again.Thanks again I plan on looking into those medications you listed IMMEDIATELY.

It is likely to be due to a combination of factors, not enough lubrication, force which was applied, the friction which was being exerted, the angle which was made. Basically, it can happen when a multitude of things occur at the same time. You can avoid it by starting gently the next time and having adequate lubrication, avoid rapid and forceful movements to start with.

Also, one last thing, avoid sexual intercourse for at least a week, this includes manual stimulation as well. The area needs to heal before you start having intercourse again.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

I have no further questions thank you very much and have a great day Doctor!
You are welcome...... Do remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)