Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have been having ongoing gastro issues over the past 7…

Hi there, I have...

Hi there, I have been having ongoing gastro issues over the past 7 months, with pain varying around several areas. I have had several blood tests, ct scan and a colonoscopy within this period which have all been clear. Lately I have had pain on my upper left front, and around my side to my back. This pain is not constant and feels dull, with the occasional stabbing pain. However, the last 3 days I have had rather light brown to yellow coloured stools, that have ranged from diarrhea to very soft. They are also usually floating. I have been told by several doctors they believe it to be ibs, but the pain has been constant over this 7 month period, moving from my sides and lower stomach originally to the current area. In your opinion do you think this could be ibs?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Not that I can think of no. I have been going to the toilet within 2 hours of my lunch with very loose, light coloured stools, that have floating parts

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I previously had hirschsprung's disease as a baby, but after colonoscopy I have been told this area is fine.

1/17/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Do you have increased urinary frequency, urinary burning, heartburn, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, loss of appetite, bloating, gas, tenderness on abdomen?

Do you have anxiety, depression?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am a 24 year old male, I have an increase in urinary frequency however I am currently on antidepressants which can increase this. There is no urinary burning. I do get heartburn occasionally depending on what I have eaten. The entire process began with severe constipation and this has always been an issue throughout my life. However recently this has not been as big an issue, and have had more frequent normal to diarrhea stools. I have had nausea, but been putting that down to my severe health anxiety. I have not vomited once, and have no fever. My appetite comes and goes, depending on my mood, and pain levels from toilet. My abdomen is usually tender but upon my visit with the doctor yesterday she pressed around and I did not have a massive discomfort. I have also had my amylase, and lipase levels checked just over a month ago and these came back normal.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also have increased gas, which is usually through burping, although on certain occasions I have to push my abdomen out to bring the burp up

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms are suggestive of intestinal motility disorder. One of the commonest is called as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Following investigations may be considered (many of which seems to be allready done);

1) The complete blood count (CBC); altered in irritable bowel disease (in whom leukocytosis / high WBC count is the more frequent result).

2) Protein electrophoresis pattern may show alterations of both albumin and globulins (especially alpha-1 and gamma globulins) in IBS.

3) Thyroid function tests; a high thyroid may cause loose and frequent bowel motions.

4) A barium meal is a helpful study in the diagnosis of intestinal motility disorders.

5) Computed tomography (CT) and nuclear magnetic resonance examinations are also necessary.

6) Defecography

7) Scintigraphic study of the small bowel or colonic transit time is currently most preferred investigation for your symptoms. It shows the intestinal progression of the meal.

Medications like neostigmine, bethanechol, metoclopramide, cisapride, and loperamide may help you.

Following measures collectively may help;

1) Fiber supplementation may improve loose motions. Citrucel and FiberCon may produce less flatulence than psyllium compounds (Metamucil).

2) Caffeine avoidance may limit exacerbation.

3) Lactose and/or fructose should also be limited or avoided.

4) Lomotil and the other medications we discussed above. All of these are prescription medications.

A recommended diet resource for IBS;

http://www.webmd.com/ibs/controlling-irritable-bowel-syndrome-with-diet

Diet resource for the elimination of the diet when there are food allergies;

http://global.oup.com/us/companion.websites/9780195371109/pdf/00_Mullin_Appendix_3.pdf

Diet resource for what to eat and avoid:

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

Anxiety can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have had many of these tests, and they are still considering the option of an IBD in another area of my digestive tract. Could ibs cause loose, floating, yellow stools? This has happened every time for the last 3 days. It is unusual for me. I am also concerned about this upper left pain around my stomach and pancreas. Could this be coming of my colon still?

In IBS, stool consistency can vary significantly.

Pain is likely due to colon.

Pancreas issues present with excessive tenderness of abdomen and pain is excruciating. With amylase and lipase normal just in near past, you should not be worried.

Anxiety is known to be underlying phenomenon of IBS.

If you are worried about any serious medical issue, I can assure you, this is not likely.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much for your assistance. My only other concern that I have not mentioned is weight loss. This has not been hugely significant and during Christmas I was able to put the weight back on. I was originally 13.5 stone and the lowest I have went is just under 12 stone. Can this happen with ibs?

Yes, this weight fluctuant is consistent with IBS.

This is not considered as clinically significant.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have also been suffering for itchy skin for years but it seems to be worse at the moment, could this be down to my current medication? After all the tests I have had, I am still concerned I have some sort of life threatening illness, and this is really down to googling things. From my symptoms and the tests I have had am I being daft?

Medications are the commonest cause of itching.

You may get an allergy test to determine and diagnose it.

Medications are the commonest cause for itchy skin.

You may get the allergy test which is likely to establish it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi there, I have a quick question regarding my previous discussion. Although I had a CT scan back in September last year, and my current symptoms did not start until December, if there was anything of concern would it still have been visible in the CT scan done, or could things change within that time frame. I am concerned it may be pancreatic cancer as the pain location is upper left, and the change in my stools. Please help, thanks.

Pancreatic cancer is extremely rare in your age group.

Things would not change just in 3-4 months so normal CT is not likely to change.

Pancreatitis causes stool changes. Pancreatic cancer do not cause stool change usually.

Your weight loss can be anxiety too.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)