Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I swallowed a small Zoloft pill without water prior to going…

Customer Question
Hello I swallowed a small Zoloft...
Hello
I swallowed a small Zoloft pill without water prior to going to bed and feel like it is stuck in my throat. I’ve tried drinking water, made myself vomit by coughing and ate food. Nothing has helped. Is it possible it’s just stuck or that it went down the wrong pipe?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Health
1/17/2018
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, if this had gone down the wrong pipe then you would have experienced choking and now would be experiencing severe coughing, shortness of breath or even wheezing. So it is more likely that you could have it stuck in the esophagus. In most case, the pills would usually go down on their own or dissolve over time but you can try the following,

1. Put water in your mouth.
  2. Lie down flat.
  3. Swallow.

The water should flush the pill down your esophagus. Lying down will help relax your throat so the pill can move. It may take a few gulps, but typically a glass of water will dislodge the most stubborn of pills.

If that does not help then it is possible that pill may have gone down the throat but has caused mild inflammation in the esophagus which is causing the current sensations/feelings. This would be treated adequately with the use OTC Prilosec at a dose of 10 mg twice daily for a period of 7 days. Usually, once you have eaten food then it is less likely that the pill is still stuck and it is more likely that the lining is inflamed and using the Prilosec would definitely help.

If the Prilosec does not help either then you would need to get evaluated by visiting your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)