Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

What do different AB igG levels mean when testing for

Customer Question
What do different...

What do different AB igG levels mean when testing for Herpes? My test came back 14.00 IV

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Never experienced any symtoms

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. This came up when I was pregnant too I believe it means I have been exposed to Herpes but I just want to understand the results better

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes I have had same PCP for 20 years

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Health
1/17/2018
Health Professional: Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn and I can respond shortly.
Thank you I look forward to your response
The IgG ab for hsv is present when you’ve been exposed to the herpes virus. There’s no way to know when and if it’s the herpes type 1 then it can be when you’re quite young. Type 1 infection is almost always around the mouth. Type 2 is usually genital transmission. It usually takes 4-6 wks to see the IgG antibodies show from an infection.
I know all that I specifically want to know what is means if my test comes back 14.00 IV
You have IgG to hsv indicating a previous exposure. If there is a suspicion for recent exposure they can repeat the test in six weeks to see if the number is ***** meaning recent exposure. If it’s lower it would mean it was in the distant past.
The number 14 is an index number which is definite for previous exposure when greater than 2.0 IgG hsv.
What would the number be if you are having an outbreak?
The test shows exposure enough to stimulate the production of IgG hsv 4-6 weeks after the initial infection. Current outbreak in the presence of IgG means reactivation of the virus particles. The IgG being unequivocally positive means previous infective incident and the number in a recurrent outbreak may not be higher or lower than your 14 index. It will always be greater than the 2.0 index.
What is the highest it can go to?
I imagine an index of 30 is the highest. It is not a measurement of the severity of the infection. An eruption of blisters, pain, fever and other symptoms of illness mean more than the index. If an eruption of hsv with a low index of let’s say 10 index, then HIV may be present suppressing the antibody response. You obviously don’t have signs and symptoms of active HSV infection and your immune system appears to be working.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)