Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My BP is 134 over 93. Well there was a sudden onset.

My BP is 134...

My BP is 134 over 93

Doctor's Assistant: Is this consistent, or is there some fluctuation in blood pressure?

Well there was a sudden onset

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Prescribed adderall

1/16/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Doctor (MD)

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please:

1. How old are you?

2. Do you have any chronic medical conditions or take any other medications regularly?

3. When did you start taking Adderall and how much in mg are you currently taking, how often?

4. Have you ever had high blood pressure before?

5. Are you currently having any pain, anxiety or stress?

1. 27 years old
2. Acid Reflux; depression and anxiety.
Omeprasole 20mg 1x day, clonazepam 1mg 3xday, adderall 30mg 2x day
3. Prescribed 3 months ago after getting Prescribed in high school and college. Was off for maybe 3 years. I take 15mg 4x day
4. My dad has high BP. I have had BP on few other occasions. One week from this past Sunday I had intense vertigo and a sudden change in vision- BP was elevated the following morning and was not checked again until now.
5. No pain just lethargic
Recently have not taken omeprazole daily for past 2 weeks after reading about it.
Also takes OTC vitamins for adderall brain neuroplastisticy

Thank you for that information. You have a number of possible explanations for your elevated BP, including the anxiety/depression, Adderall use, family history and the vertigo. 134/93 is not an emergency kind of high blood pressure in the sense that it would cause anything acutely dangerous, unless you start having splitting headaches, nausea/vomiting, or extremely blurry vision/blind spots. I would definitely bring this up with your primary care provider though. In order to establish a formal diagnosis of hypertension, he or she would need to be able to document 3 separate readings of BP elevation while you are calm and quiet. At that point he/she might recommend an initial diet/exercise regimen, and then consider blood pressure medication. All in all, you're not in any immediate danger, but it's important that your high BP episodes be thoroughly evaluated by your doctor and treated accordingly.

Can I help with anything else today?

What should I do if my vision gets blurry and spotty? Could I have had a mini stroke?
I should add that my balance is off.

I understand your question and concern. At 27 years of age, it's very unlikely that you would develop a stroke of any kind. High blood pressure leads to strokes only when acutely extremely high (>200's over 100's) or if relatively high and unchecked for years and years. As far as your balance being off, more likely a residual effect from your recent vertigo, both of which are probably not related to your elevated BP. Best to be sure though and get checked by your physician.

Any other questions for today?

Thank you

You are very welcome! If I've addressed your question and you are satisfied, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Doctor (MD)