Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have intermittent ear pain and fullness in my left ear. It…

I have intermittent ear...

I have intermittent ear pain and fullness in my left ear. It comes and goes a few times a day but isn't too bothersome so I figured it would go away on its own. However I have just found a lump behind my left ear. What could this be and should I make an appointment with my doctor. I'm 28, female, non smoker. Thanks.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?

No

1/16/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I would also like to add that I have no fever or sickness. I do have some under eye soreness/pressure on the left hand side and have a tendency to grind my teeth on the left to relieve the pressure

How big is the lump?

Is it painful, tender, mobile, hard/soft?

Do you have any mouth sores, tongue issue or teeth problems?

Its about the size of a large pea, embedded in the skull. Not painful, quite hard but feels round and smooth.
No mouth sores either. I recently visited my dentist and he did a full soft tissue check up.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Thankyou

Following can be the possibilities;

1) A non specific lymphadenitis. Lymph nodes can enlarge on mildest of infection and may remain enlarged. Any lymph nodes less than one cm in size is not due to disease process.

2) A normal contour of the jaw bone which may have found by you now.

3) Lipofibroma, which is a benign soft tissue mass. No treatment is required.

An ultrasound or MRI can diagnose it and confirm the nature.

As a matter of fact there is nothing worrisome.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thanks. I won't be able to go for an MRI due to my location. However as you disregard malignancy I feel better. If my symptoms worsen I will speak with my doctor. Does this sound like a good choice to you?

Yes, this is the right course of action.

There is nothing serious or significant going on, I can assure you.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Just to let you know, I have just seen my gp and he has diagnosed me with an ear infection and burst ear drum. He has given me an oral and topical antibiotic for now. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for taking for the update.

I really appreciate it.