Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

1) Is it healthy to eat grilled chicken when it's grilled…

Hello,1) Is it healthy to...
Hello,1) Is it healthy to eat grilled chicken when it's grilled with charcoal? Some people say it's not healthy.2) In general, what's the healthiest option to prepare chicken?
1/16/2018
Dr. Scott, Doctor (MD)

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

You should avoid charcoal based meats.

This is from the cancer society: Heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are chemicals formed when muscle meat, including beef, pork, fish, or poultry, is cooked using high-temperature methods, such as pan frying or grilling directly over an open flame. In laboratory experiments, HCAs and PAHs have been found to be mutagenic—that is, they cause changes in DNA that may increase the risk of cancer. In many experiments, rodents fed a diet supplemented with HCAs developed tumors of the breast, colon, liver, skin, lung, prostate, and other organs. Rodents fed PAHs also developed cancers, including leukemia and tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and lungs

You should also avoid processed meats such as lunch meats as they are also known to cause cancer.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dear Dr. Scott, thank you for your response. But if you cannot pan-fry or grill meat, what is the recommended form of preparation?

I understand your concern.

The general recommendation is to grill or bake them in the oven.

Cooking on the stove top oven on low heat is also recommended.

You can also cook them in a crock pot.

Protecting the meat with tin foil or similar product can also help if you do decide to grill them over an open flame.

Dr. Scott, Doctor (MD)