Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I was preparing macaroni salad and had all the ingredients…

Customer Question
Hi. I was preparing...

Hi. I was preparing macaroni salad and had all the ingredients on my table. I left for literally 20 seconds max to check my phone. When I got back to the kitchen, my cat was nibbling on a portion of the shredded chicken. I took out the whole layer of the shredded chicken and gave it to her to eat. I finished making the salad but I dont know if I should throw it away. I ate wuite a portion of the finished sald while I was making it for tasting.

Doctor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

My problem is not the difestion of the cat. My problem is contamination for me, who will eat the salad. Should I throw awya my salad instead?

Doctor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

She is in good health, with all the shots and an indoor cat. Although months ago, he owuld chase a rat here, but not often. She would not eat the cat, but owuld strangle it with her teeth until the rat is out of bretah and die.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Health
1/16/2018
Health Professional: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I think that you have reason to be concerned.

A cat's mouth has lots of bacteria in it. While she wasn't eating the chicken for long you have no way of knowing whether her saliva penetrated deeper layers of the chicken then you removed.

In most healthy people their stomach acid could hopefully kill small amounts of bacteria, so the amount you ate after preparing the salad should be fine. The trouble is the longer the salad sits the more the bacteria reproduce and higher numbers of bacteria and the toxins they produce will be present, and that could make you sick.

I recommend throwing out the salad to be safe and not eating any more.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, please let me know if you do, thank you, ***** *****