Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I started on 5 mg of escitalopram 7 months ago, 6 weeks

I started on 5...

I started on 5 mg of escitalopram 7 months ago, 6 weeks later my cholesterol level was muc

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

No we don't.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My cholesterol was 197 in July which was high and now it's 220. Dr. Increased my dose to 10 mg in September and began having vivid dreams, sweating, balance issues etc.

1/16/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Do you have family history of high cholesterol?

Are you overweight or obese?

Was there any weight increase after starting Escitalopram?

Are your concerned that Escitalopram is responsible for high cholesterol?

I am a 52 year old female. No family history of high cholesterol. I was actually underweight, 5'2" - 99lbs when I started lexapro. I began gaining weight quicklywhen the Dr. Increased to 10mg in September. Also vivid dreams, sweating, balance issues, sneezing, bloody noses etc. My cholesterol was 197, which I thought was high in July and now it's 220 as well as I've gained 9lbs and have done nothing differently.

I am sorry, I cannot phone you. But we can continue the chat here.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

My concern is my psychiatrist doesn't believe lexapro is the problem and wants to increase to 15mg

Let me at the outset tell you that Lexapro is known to cause increase in body weight and associated high cholesterol. Also all of your symptoms are due to it.

Please read this authentic article which point that these medicines are associated with these adverse effects;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3687049/

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Consultant
Phone call session started

These are the results;;

Results

In the paroxetine group, there was a significant increase in the parameters of weight, BMI, waist circumference, fasting glucose, total cholesterol, LDL and triglyceride after 16 weeks of treatment. There were significant increases in the levels of triglyceride in the citalopram and escitalopram groups. In the sertraline group, the total cholesterol level increased after treatment. In the fluoxetine group, there were significant reductions in the parameters of weight, total cholesterol and triglyceride.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)