Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have a metallic tasting production when I cough. I can…

I have a metallic...

I have a metallic tasting production when I cough. I can feel the constant sinus drip. I have bouts of dry unproductive coughing with a tyrannical tickle in throat. This has been going on for 2 months. The production is light green with darker green specks. I took a zpack and am now on 4th day of augmenting.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Runny nose, no fever. Worse when I lay down. H/a and mild stomach issues from coughing so much when unproductive.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Don’t smoke. I’m 68 years old. Albutrin helps wit occasional wheezing.

1/15/2018
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D. and I know plenty about coughing as we age. I’ll respond shortly.
During the winter months, or actually year round, at our age the fine tuning of the lungs doesn’t clear mucus like it used to. There is a very effective otc medication that helps the stuff come up to get rid of the sensation of having a dry cough. We cough when there is sticky mucus that is hard to bring up. The magic ingredient in mucinex or even robitussin is Guafenesin. Native Americans discovered it from the Guiac tree long ago. 400 mgs every four hours does the job or mucinex 12 hour tablet so you don’t having to take it so often. Only get the plain mucinex because they stick extra ingredients that can keep you having the cough. I wonder what the manufacturer is up to but just the plain stuff. I started using this product years ago and I always bring up the mucus as long as I take the tablet and I haven’t had actual bronchitis for a long time. You have to search for the plain mucinex on the shelf with the others like mucinex DM or mucinex flu preparation.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)