Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

This morning I had an episode of irregular heartbeat with…

This morning I had...

This morning I had an episode of irregular heartbeat with blood pressure 109/70. I am 61 years old take 50mg atenolol for high bp. 80mg pravachol for cholesterol. I took .25mg Xanax after 30 minutes of episode. Now I feel fine and normal blood pressure of 127/74. Can I assume this was anxiety or should I be concerned of something worse?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I had a similar incident once or twice in the past 5 years. I think it was after a week of extra social activity and physical activity

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My mother had clogged arteries and needed bypass surgery in her upper 70's. She never took statins

1/15/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, these symptoms can be due to a couple of reasons, the first one which I would be concerned about is that you could have developed an arrhythmia. This is a condition in which there is a rapid irregular heart beat, this can occur due to various causes including heart issues, electrolyte imbalances, autoimmune causes, thyroid disorders among many others. It can also develop due to anxiety or stress as well. This would be diagnosed with the help of an EKG, echocardiography and also with the help of a 24-hour Holter monitor test. The 24-hour Holter test is the best test to diagnose this problem along with certain blood tests. It would be treated with the help of various medications.

The fact that you are already on cholesterol and BP medications do mean that you are at risk to develop this issue because of possible heart issues and that is why I think you should have this evaluated as soon as possible with the above tests. While this can all be due to anxiety I would first rule out the above conditions before attributing everything to plain anxiety.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)