Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I had hcg blood test stating <2mIU. What does that mean.

Customer Question
I had hcg blood...

I had hcg blood test stating <2mIU

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

What does that mean

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

They tested serum

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Health
Does for non pregnant women Hcg should be zero? aur as in my case its <2
1/15/2018
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually, the NORMAL beta HCG level in a NON-pregnant woman is considered to be either less than 5.0 mIU/ml or less than 2.0 mIU/ml. The variation is because of the measuring techniques in the laboratory, but generally speaking, we consider a level of less than 5 as being normal. So to answer your question, NO the levels are not necessarily zero in a NON-pregnant woman. If the levels are above 5 in a non-pregnant woman or above 9.5 in a post-menopausal woman, then we would have to investigate for other causes including tumors which secrete beta HcG.

Your level of less than 2 will be considered as being completely normal if you are not pregnant. This is because the hormone can be produced by the pituitary gland normally in both men and women in very small amounts or it can be positive because of interference from other antibodies present in the bloodstream of some women.

But a level of less than 2 is considered normal, it does NOT need to be zero in non-pregnant women.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!