Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My partner and I have been trying for a baby for a few

Customer Question
My partner and I...

My partner and I have been trying for a baby for a few months now, not having sex each and everyday though but a few times a week. She missed her period for 3 weeks and we thought she must be pregnant, tests was negative and maybe a week later she came on her period. My last sexual partner was 7 years before and I didn't get checked after, could I have chlamydia or anything to stop us getting pregnant without any symptoms for this amount of time? Or can it be a low sperm count or I could be born infertile?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

What you mean?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I smoke but don't drink

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Health
1/13/2018
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, we usually wait for a year before considering infert8ility in either partner. You have mentioned that you have been trying for a few months, which is not enough time to consider the possibility of infertility. However, if it has been more than 8-9 months then you can start to consider getting evaluated. This evaluation would be for the both of you and not just the male partner. This is because the problem can lie with either partner. Your partner would need to undergo hormonal blood tests, abdominal and pelvic ultrasound, urine tests while you will need to undergo a complete STD profile, urine tests, abdominal tests as well as tests on your semen.

To answer your question, usually, chlamydia would not be silent however it is possible that an infection in the past caused some damage which has led to the current issue. But it is still advisable to get screened for STDs. Secondly, a low sperm count can develop because of infections, radiation, trauma as well as numerous other factors. genetic factors can also be a cause however first we would need to have this evaluated in order to determine the cause.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I did use to masterbate a lot before I got with my parter now would that course an affect? I do get anxious evey morning causing myself to be sick worrying about day to day life? i have smoked for years and I did do drugs when I was younger too, Iv been stressed and depressed for years are these all factors of lower sperm count or weakening them?

Masturbation would not cause ANY ISSUES. Drugs may cause issues depending on which drugs that you used and how you used them and the duration of use as well. STress and depression can cause the sperm count to decrease especially if there is an underlying hormonal issue like thyroid issues or low testosterone.

Do you have any more questions?

I used to use cocaine, mdma, speed quite a lot of the time, I do over think a lot and get my self so worked up I'm physically sick
Cocaine can cause issues with erections but not with sperm production. But the stress that you are under will cause problems with the hormones
Will stress, depression and anxiety over atleast 10 years will cause a big effect on my body?

Yes it can, stress can commonly lead to heart disease, increase the risk of stroke as well as cause hormonal disturbances. It depends on the amount of stress that you have been exposed to but we wont know for sure until you get tested.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

If I do have chlamydia for 7 years would I of been likely to have seen some symptoms?

It is UNLIKELY That you have had chlamydia for 7 years, chlamydia does not go into a hibernation state. If you had chlamydia then you would certainly have symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!