Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have been on my menstrual cycle for 12 days. The first 5…

Hi, I have been...

Hi, I have been on my menstrual cycle for 12 days. The first 5 days were normal but since then it has been very dark in colour, quite clotty and my abdomen feels bloated and when my.period started I had really bad cramps which is unusual. I am 27 and had the implant taken out in October. My periods continued regularly as normal. Any ideas?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

I keep a record of my periods every month

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Don't think so. Active, healthy, eat a good diet

1/13/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm Sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it is likely that you could have developed a hormonal imbalance which is causing this problem. A hormonal imbalance is one of the commonest causes for bleeding of this sort and it can develop due to a number of causes which can include anxiety, stress, exercise, diet as well as infections in the genital or urinary tract. This would lead to the abdominal cramps as well as the excessive bleeding in your situation. This would be diagnosed with a simple hormonal panel blood test and usually can be corrected with the help of medications which resolve the problem within a couple of weeks to a month. Another cause of this sort of bleeding can be an infection in the genital tract. This can be a bacterial or a fungal infection which would be diagnosed on a simple pelvic examination, high vaginal swab and urine tests along with an abdominal/pelvic ultrasound. The treatment can be with antibiotics or with anti fungal medications.

ANother cause of this could be the development of a polyp or a fibroid inside the uterus which can cause this sort of excessive bleeding in many cases. The ultrasound would be diagnostic in that case.. Lastly, i would also consider endocrinological problems like thyroid disorders which can also present in this manner.

I would suggest that if the bleeding does not subside within the next couple of days then you should get evaluated by visiting your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)