Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

When I go out in the cold my fingertips hurt so bad. I even…

Customer Question
When I go out...

When I go out in the cold my fingertips hurt so bad. I even wear two pairs of gloves. So I am wondering why this is happening. Now, my hands and arms are always cold even in the summer.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

I have fibromialgia and spinal stenosis. No fever.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Health
1/7/2018
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, there are a couple of possibilities here, the first one is that you could have problems with the circulation. In many patients, there can be damage to the vessels in the area. This can be the result of deposition of cholesterol or debris in the vessels which causes them to narrow down and thus cause symptoms like cold hands or cold feet along with possible other symptoms like pain in the limbs, change in color, numbness etc. This would usually occur in patients above the age of 50 however in some cases it can occur in patients as young as 40 who have had a history of smoking. This would be diagnosed with the help of simple doppler ultrasound of the limbs and once diagnosed it can be treated with the help of medications and in severe cases with the insertion of stents. This is known as peripheral vascular disease.

It can also occur because of an autoimmune disease like vasculitis in which there is inflammation of the vessels which causes them to narrow down. Again a doppler would be helpful along with a complete autoimmune profile which would include tests like ANA, ESR, ENA profile and specific vasculitides tests.

Lastly, it can also be due to Raynaud's phenomenon which can occur due to autoimmune disease or even on its own. This causes vessels to construct in response to cold temperatures and would also cause a change in color of the fingers and the toes from blue, white, red or even black in severe cases. The diagnosis is usually clinical and can be treated with medications like calcium channel blockers.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!