Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a bad headache just on the right side. Also hurts…

Customer Question
I have a bad headache...
I have a bad headache just on the right side. Also hurts when I cough. After I take Advil migraine the pain and cough pain go away for a while. This has been going on for 3 days.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Health
1/7/2018
Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually, from what you have mentioned there are a couple of possibilities here which can cause this sort of pain. The first one is that you could have developed sinusitis which is a condition in which the sinuses are infected or inflamed which can lead to facial pain, headaches which worsen on coughing, coughing, fever, sinus congestion, sinus discharge among others. Usually, the diagnosis can be made with the help of a simple clinical examination and also with an x-ray of the sinuses. The treatment can be with regular anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily along with sinus lavages with OTC saline as well as decongestants and anti histamines like Claritin or Zyrtec.

Another cause of this would be associated with a brain issue. Usually, if the headaches are also associated with nausea, vomiting, dizziness, lightheadedness, loss of consciousness, fainting, blurring of vision, visual impairment of any sort, weakness or numbness in the limbs then it should be IMMEDIATELY evaluated in the ER with the help of a CT scan or MRI of the brain. At the same time, a clinical examination would be necessary for this situation as well. If you have any of these additional symptoms or if a headache does not subside in the next 2 days then you should have this evaluated as soon as possible.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/