Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My daughter just torn her ACL ligament. We want to bring her…

Customer Question
My daughter just torn...

My daughter just torn her ACL ligament. We want to bring her home to Puerto Rico. She is in Rhode Island. Is it safe to travel in a airplane for 5 hours. I’ve heard of risks of clots .

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Swelling and pain

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

2 days ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

There’s also a chip fracture in the tibia

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Health
1/4/2018
Health Professional: Richard Han, Doctor (MD) replied 8 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Doctor (MD)

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how old is your daughter? And is she able to get up and walk with assistance?

She is 22 and she has a knee inmobilizer. She has trouble to walk with crutches

Thank you for that information, I understand. At 22 years old, she's at less risk for blood clots in the legs during a 5 hour flight than an older individual. That being said, it would be helpful for her to wear a pressure stocking/sock on both legs which you can buy over the counter at a pharmacy. If at all possible, if she could get up and move a little once or twice during the flight that would also help with blood flow and further prevent even a low likelihood of blood clots in the legs. Overall, if you do both, I would not worry about any risk of blood clotting on your flight home.

Can I help you with anything else today?

If I've addressed your question and you are satisfied, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.